HybridZ

S30 Headlight Switch

Gollum

This is just me talking about my experience with the nissan headlight switch, and semi-complaining. I'm not in need of help, just adding to information so feel free to skip this thread. :)

Anyway, my 75' 280 was having issues with my light switch. It was the first click, the tail lights, front corners, dash gauge lights, etc. Found a bad solder point, so I resoldered it on. Still nothing.... hmmm. So I take the switch apart, and the plastic nipple that moves the rocker inside the switch (sits ontop of a spring) was destroyed.

Lame.

So I bought a 20 amp toggle switch from kragen. Wired it up, works like a charm now.

Then I had two switches in two different places, not the least confusing situation, but not that big of a deal.

Then last night, I go to leave my parent's house (where I'd been playing the new Super Smash Bro's Brawl with my brother...) and the headlights aren't comming on.

Damn.

So while it's pitch black outside, and the streetlights work as good as business cards you never hand out, I proceeded to cut my wires, put ends on them, and wire them into the new switch.

Now, another side note, is that I'd put one of my 280ZX headlights in one of the headlights when I got the car because it had a shattered bulb. Since then the old one had been super bright, while the new one was pretty mellow.

So I get the switch wired up, didn't want to work at first. I think my switch is kinda cheap, and likes to not connect temporarly if you breathe on it wrong. I get out to make sure the lights are ok, and they're magically on. So somewhere in there the switch turned on.

Ok, time to go home.

Well the GF noted that both headlights were about as equal brightness as she could tell now, just that the 280ZX one was a little more yellow.

Ok, so not only was the switch sucking at switching, but it was also causing poor current flow or something to that effect.

I think I'm gonna replace the switch with something a bit higher amperage, and with a light too, so that I know when it's on. Then it'll get mounted to something, probably where the radio is supposed to go.

...now i'm just waiting for that turn signal switch to go out on me...

As I was working on getting my left headlight and marker light working today (280Z fender and lights on a 240, PO didn't know how to change the connectors), I noticed that in the parking light only position, the parking lights would turn off after a few seconds, but with the headlights on, the parking lights stayed on.

I think I'll open up the switch soon and see if I notice anything like you have. Eventually I plan on replacing the column with something late model, probably from a GM, but for now I'd like to make this work at least mostly proper. :lol:

I've got an extra switch stalk floating around, I'll be in Fremont this weekend if you want it.

Edit: Actually it's in the back of the car right now. It's a JY pull and not in great shape. Might be useful for parts, but from the sound of it, your switch itself is the problem, not the stalk.

No worries capt, I'm just gonna be using a switch I'll be putting on the dash somewhere. No biggie.

I'm still considering buying this nice aluminium dash + center console from the guy I bought my car from. Would be a pain to deal with getting it in over a weekend, but would be well worth it in the end. If I do that I'll probably end up converting the windshield wiper switch over to the dash as well.

No worries capt, I'm just gonna be using a switch I'll be putting on the dash somewhere. No biggie.

I'm still considering buying this nice aluminium dash + center console from the guy I bought my car from. Would be a pain to deal with getting it in over a weekend, but would be well worth it in the end. If I do that I'll probably end up converting the windshield wiper switch over to the dash as well.

If memory serves correct, I found diagrams on this site or Zhome.com that'll tell you how to wire up the headlights with relays to that the headlight switch NO longer overheats and fails.

Look around, there's tons of stuff on here and other sites that'll direct ya down the right path to enLIGHTenment, get it.....:lol::lol::lol:

Dave

AKA Zs-ondabrain at CZC

Yea, I'm gonna hook up a relay. The wires just killed the 20 amp switch I had for it... grrrr.

I've got about 20+ spare relays that came with the car that were either unused from the turbo donor, or relays my car didn't need after the conversion.

Trouble is I've never actually wired up a relay from scratch, though I understand the principal perfectly well.

Time to go read...

• 1 year later...