HybridZ

Fuel pump mounting location

Guest ClayFo

Guest ClayFo

Hey everyone,

I finally reached a driveable state with my V8 swap, and, being my first engine swap of any kind, I had my cousin (who is a GM-certified mechanic) look things over to make sure I hadn't made any mistakes that could kill me :ugg:

He gave it the OK, except he didn't like the fact that I mounted my Holley fuel pump in the stock mounting location for the 280ZX pump, right behind the passenger halfshaft. He said something like "man, you'll be a ball of fire if that shaft ever turns loose." :eek:

I searched the forums and found that a number of swaps seem to be using the stock mounting location for a fuel pump, but I hadn't considered the possibility of breaking a halfshaft. You can see from the stats below that I'm not exactly making outrageous power, but I'm not sure how old those U-joints are either...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Clay

Hey everyone,

I finally reached a driveable state with my V8 swap, and, being my first engine swap of any kind, I had my cousin (who is a GM-certified mechanic) look things over to make sure I hadn't made any mistakes that could kill me :ugg:

He gave it the OK, except he didn't like the fact that I mounted my Holley fuel pump in the stock mounting location for the 280ZX pump, right behind the passenger halfshaft. He said something like "man, you'll be a ball of fire if that shaft ever turns loose." :eek:

I searched the forums and found that a number of swaps seem to be using the stock mounting location for a fuel pump, but I hadn't considered the possibility of breaking a halfshaft. You can see from the stats below that I'm not exactly making outrageous power, but I'm not sure how old those U-joints are either...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Clay

Make a shield for it mabey a peice of 1/8" hell 1/4" would work it is a good point about the half shaft

I have mine there too. I've never really thought about what would happen in a half shaft would break? The exhaust way back there isn't hot enough to start a fire but if you were making sparks I could see it...

I guess I'll have to take a look at that tomorrow. A nice thick shield might not be a bad idea...

Mounted mine directly centered behind the m-bar and ran the line up the tunnel in the oem location which saves it from most road debris. But if the driveshaft, trans, clutch or flywheel ever explodes it's a petro ball of fire for me indeed. Remember seeing a hybridz member a few years ago run the fuel and brake lines inside updated frame rails. To what success I do not know.

HPIM0881a.JPG

Is that the Mallory 60FI or 110FI pump? I just bought the 110FI for my LT1 280Z and will be mounting it when it gets here. Nice m-bar set-up!

Thanks,

Greg

Mounted mine directly centered behind the m-bar and ran the line up the tunnel in the oem location which saves it from most road debris. But if the driveshaft, trans, clutch or flywheel ever explodes it's a petro ball of fire for me indeed. Remember seeing a hybridz member a few years ago run the fuel and brake lines inside updated frame rails. To what success I do not know.

HPIM0881a.JPG

Guest ClayFo

Well, if no one has seen or heard of the "ball of fire" scenario actually happening, then I may live dangerously for a while...

I need to park it and get on the body work anyway, before the rust eats through a panel somewhere.