HybridZ

New Engine build

Guest Avid Z

Guest Avid Z

Hi all. me and my brother are wanting to get a 280zx in about 2 months but we dont have the space for a car yet .... we do have the space to rebuild an engine. I was thinking we could pull the engine with the intake and exhaust manifold. Then just rebuild it then drop it into another 280zx body.

My Q would be - Do you think thats a good idea?

and If so what other parts should I pull out when I pull the engine?

When I pull the engine should I pull the starter and alternator? Or would it be best just to buy them after market?

and no we do not want to put in a chevy motor:nono:.....we wanna use the engine it was made with. :cool:

and no we do not want to put in a chevy motor:nono:.....we wanna use the engine it was made with. :cool:

You won't get much help acting like that around here. Sorry.

It's built into our rules that you're to act non-biased towards other people, and to allow them to do what they like and not downplay thier decisions. So bad mouthing a chevy swap when 75%+ of our members have chevy swaps isn't too bright.

All that being said, I'll help you out the best I can.

First off, if you don't have space for a car now, what will change that you'll have space later? If you WILL have space to work on a car, yea sure, buy an engine and rebuild it since you have the time/space/money I assume.

I'd suggest pulling the entire motor + alternator + starter. Just so it's complete. If you want to be able to run it on a stand you'll need the entire wiring harness + ECU (located by the driver's foot box).

Since you posted this in a S130 section I assume you'll be doing this swap in a S130 car.

I'd try my best if I were you to make sure to get a 280ZX motor, and one with a P79 or P90 head. Those are really great flowing heads and can easily make good street performing heads. Lots of info on this site about them.

While you're working on it you can do other mods though, like a KA24 throttle body and such. Could even get it running on megasquirt if you had the time/money.

You won't get much help acting like that around here. Sorry.

It's built into our rules that you're to act non-biased towards other people, and to allow them to do what they like and not downplay thier decisions. So bad mouthing a chevy swap when 75%+ of our members have chevy swaps isn't too bright.

All that being said, I'll help you out the best I can.

First off, if you don't have space for a car now, what will change that you'll have space later? If you WILL have space to work on a car, yea sure, buy an engine and rebuild it since you have the time/space/money I assume.

I'd suggest pulling the entire motor + alternator + starter. Just so it's complete. If you want to be able to run it on a stand you'll need the entire wiring harness + ECU (located by the driver's foot box).

Since you posted this in a S130 section I assume you'll be doing this swap in a S130 car.

I'd try my best if I were you to make sure to get a 280ZX motor, and one with a P79 or P90 head. Those are really great flowing heads and can easily make good street performing heads. Lots of info on this site about them.

While you're working on it you can do other mods though, like a KA24 throttle body and such. Could even get it running on megasquirt if you had the time/money.

just had to chime in with my 2 centavo's, i would also think about a cam option. im still on the fence myself on M/S i've heard bad and good things regarding the product. but this is a good research place to form your thoughts on your build, good luck

Well, i will suggest you too to purchase the books "how to modify your nissan & Datsun engine" and "How to rebuild your nissan & Datsun engine", i´m in the way too of rebuilding and thinking, what do i want to do in my L28?, and so far these books have been a good resource of information...