HybridZ

Thoughts please

bakerz

What should i do?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What should i do?

• swap into a 240/260/280 or 510
    • swap into my Scion xb (interesting sleeper)
    • buy it to resell
    • just save my money for my L28ET 240z

So, i was hunting in craigslist, as i normally do, looking for stuff for my L28ET swap that im halfway in, when I came across a RB20DET for $600. so...That is an insane deal correct? I was thinking of buying it.

I know the larger motors are the better choice for the swap, but I can always just save it until I find the right car (another z, or maybe a 510. or heck, my DD is a scion xb and would be a cool option toyota ppl will hate me but i dont care.)

i was just looking at what you have for your turbo build. and i noticed you have a holset HX30w. I hate to tell ya but if you hope to make any thing over 200 hp your gonna want a bigger turbo. i have a holset hx30w on my car right now and it is way undersized. at DNI i was pushing around 19psi and i only got a 13.679 with a trap time of 98mph which when i plugged into a hp calculator and it gave me like 198 hp. It spools quickly like 2400rpm in 4th but it runs out of air by like 3500/4000rpm. i would rather run the stock t3 rather than a holser hx30w. sorry its off topic but i just thought i would warn ya.

I soo didnt buy it yet. You just saved me alot of money, I was winning the bid on ebay, but someone just outbid me, thanks again dude, would you PM me a good alternative? its a weekend car, but I once i get it running, its a possible DD. so which turbo would you go with that will bolt up to the stock mani? I know t3/t4 and the holset ones bolt up. but I need to get one cuz my mani is out of the car and I might as well get one before I build my DP. Im looking for anywhere from 275hp to 350hp, but I know that depends on the other stuff I run as well. Thanks again soo much!:2thumbs:

I just saw that your running a Hy35w, so Im guessing thats a good option, happy with it?

Plus, my buddy got an RB20 on a pallet one time, and the pan was chock full of bearings.

Not sure what that's supposed to imply, as the RB engines in any sense are built similar to the rest of their family. Sure the crank journals are like 4mm smaller (which is quite a difference) but the design itself wouldn't mean that all RB20's are known to spit out bearings. You'd have to look at any engine thoroughly before buying.

That being said, forget the RB20 at this point. If it were a more complete package it would be a fun undertaking. This is just going to cause you headaches!

Not sure what that's supposed to imply, as the RB engines in any sense are built similar to the rest of their family. Sure the crank journals are like 4mm smaller (which is quite a difference) but the design itself wouldn't mean that all RB20's are known to spit out bearings. You'd have to look at any engine thoroughly before buying.

That being said, forget the RB20 at this point. If it were a more complete package it would be a fun undertaking. This is just going to cause you headaches!

Careless, I have had a few RB's now in various states. I was not indicating that they were "weak" but that he could have someone pawning off a lemon. Seems odd he just has the motor.

Evan

Careless, I have had a few RB's now in various states. I was not indicating that they were "weak" but that he could have someone pawning off a lemon. Seems odd he just has the motor.

Evan

Understood, but its a moot point because anyone could pawn off any lemon, whether it's an L28 or a VRH35L. lol

pirate87, I don't know where you're seeing RB20 motorsets for 400, or even 800. They're usually 1000 bucks.

I think for 1000 bucks, a nice turbo and inter cooler with home made piping could be a better deal, and the L28 can take it.

Understood, but its a moot point because anyone could pawn off any lemon, whether it's an L28 or a VRH35L. lol

pirate87, I don't know where you're seeing RB20 motorsets for 400, or even 800. They're usually 1000 bucks.

I think for 1000 bucks, a nice turbo and inter cooler with home made piping could be a better deal, and the L28 can take it.

Agreed, and I also agree with your thoughts on the L28ET!

Evan

Notice I said RB20 transmission, i was pretty much agreeing with every one that the money could be better spent

you also said

thats almost the price of what some canadian importers are asking for a complete motorset.

so that would lead me to believe you're talking about the RB20 motorset, no? Cause if you can find them for 400, I know of a couple of cars that I wouldn't mind shoving that thing into.