HybridZ

ford 8.8 irs lsd

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

has anyone tried using a ford 8.8 from a 87 or newer i believe thunderbird. they are irs type rear and the gear selection is whatever you want. they are easily obtained and getting a lsd is easily obtained. just a thought. i might try this option also. give me some feed back.later, chris

the last body style t bird with v8 or sc motor had 8.8.or lincoln mk8 or 2000 up cobra.lincoln & cobra had all aluminum housing.common gearing is 2.83, 3.08,3.27.unit is lighter than r200.if i built a v8 z for freeway use i would use this diff.mounting wouldnt be hard to do.got a salseman at work(i am a tech at a ford dealer) that drag races a 2000 cobra and rear hasnt blown up yet but trans and engine have.

Guest Anonymous

if the rear is actually lighter than the r200 then i might just venture out and try one. it will call for a custom rear mount but then i could mount it at the correct highth for the drive shaft angle though.

question is does anyone have any ideas as far as the axel shafts go?

I also think that the halfshafts would be the greatest problem. How wide is the 8.8" IRS pumpkin? Fabricating mounts for the differential is nontrivial but can be done with some basic machine tools. Custom-shortening and reflanging half shafts can not. It's the same problem with the Ford 9" rear. The Z's track is just too narrow for conventional applications.

One suggestion to solve the halfshaft length problem was to alter the rear track width - for example, by sectioning and widening the transverse links. That of course alters the rear camber. The strut perches can also be moved outboard, I suppose. Sounds gruesome, but "it's only sheet metal work."

For the adventurous, my hot rodding buddy suggested Oldsmobile Toronado halfshafts. I'm not sure about length, but they can easily take the torque.

Randy - that salesguy isn't getting traction or running slicks if he's not busted the halfshafts! My buddy owns a Ford performance shop and rule #1 on IRS Mustangs is NO SLICKS! Even stock motors blow those halfshafts pretty easily. He's got a car in the shop now that had the gearset blow up - NOT the halfshafts. Yup, it's the aluminum centersection! I THINK this is th efirst center section he's seen blown. Ford dealer denied the kid warranty on it - seems they searched the car at the dealership, found some time slips, and kicked it out the door. Cute. I don't know if he ran slicks or not.

Anyway, the IRS in the later model cars is different, I think, than what the T-birds ran. Worth looking at anyway but I'm pretty sure the track is much wider. Someone here mentioned a place making stronger Cobra halfshafts not long ago - perhaps that shop could make some custom length shafts too? I bet it won't be long before we begin seeing IRS rears on the open market for sale as Cobra racers upgrade to live rears. Axle tramping and all sorts of problems have been reported in addition to breakage - I don't get the feeling the drag racers like them and changing gears in that pumpkin is a PITA requiring cuttingwelding (!) if memory serves. frown.gif I know at least one car out of my friend's shop has already dumped the IRS and I think Ford migh tmake it optional in an upcoming year - we'll see. Right now I'm not even sure SVT is going to get a Cobra out the door this coming model year - bummer!

Someone posted this before, can't remember who?, anyway this system uses the Ford 8.8 and both upper and lower A arms! No more half shaft acting as a control arm. www.ryanemotorsports.com/unvapp.htm

Mark

------------------

" Now where did I set my beer? "

[This message has been edited by Z-Dreamer (edited January 24, 2001).]

if i used a ford 8.8 i would probably use the ford half shafts and get ends resplined to 280zxt cv joints after shortening shafts.i have seen a picture of rayne motorsports rear irs chassis clip but it looks too wide for a z car.if i was going to drag race a z i would probably just through a straight axle with a 9" and be done .probably a 3 link with panhard bar and 280zx struts.

Guest Anonymous

the reason why i was asking about the 8.8 is because i can't rememberthe site right off but i have seen the old shelby cobra with the 8.8 irs. i figured they have the same width as the 280Z.

Guest JAMIE T

For custom IRS installs, check out a book called Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams, It has a pretty good section on IRS, I think the 8.8 IRS is an excellent idea. Lots to fabricate, but thats the fun part!