HybridZ

window louvers

zmaster

I'm still kinda up in the air about louvers. I know the quarter window ones don't look so hot. The hatch louvers seem to depend on the color of the car. If it's black, you probably can't go wrong. And it would help keep the car cool on those sunny days. But if you get louvers, don't get the plastic ones. They always seem to have thick ribs connecting them in the middle somewhere for strength, and that just seems tacky.

:wc: There are two type of louvers for the Z car. The first set does fit with in the frame of the rear window area (inside the rubber gasket) and can be made of plastic or metal. The second set fits on the outside of the window area (outside of rubber gasket), most that I have seen are made of metal. On the first set, the hinge and mounting bolts (securing bolts), all go on the inside of the window and are secured by the rubber gasket (they slip under the rubber on the window). The second set have screws securing it to the body. You have to drill holes into the body and put screws into it to secure it. I have both sets sitting at home and have a copy of the second set on the Z at this time. I would have used the first setup but have lost one of the securing bolts needed to secure it to the car. They help keep the heat out of the car and help hide stuff you don't want anyone to see in the back of your Z. Hope that helps, Rich.:windows:

Do I have to take the rear window out to install the louver that fits under the rubber, or can I just lift the rubber up and around it? should I risk drilling holes in my z car for just some ooooh's and aaaah's? At what cost.....just to have it rust next year or in 5 years, I really don't want to have to repaint my hatch. just because of the rust. Does anyone have pictures of the louver that fits under the rubber, and the one that is bolted on?? maybe top views of both of these different setups That will help me decide,

:wc: No, you don't need to remove the glass. You just slip it between the glass and the rubber. It is a tight fit and it keeps the louvers in place. The top has a large flat plate mounted on it as part of the hinge system. The whole part slides under and allows you to rise the louvers to clean the glass. You have two mounting points with studs on them that go into the lower window corners. This where it secures the frame to the window. The other system that sits outside the window frame is secured by screws. I mounted it with by putting some gasket sealer on it. This helps keep out the water and rust. I have not had any rusting problems with it. Good Luck, Rich.:wink: