HybridZ

Help with Torque/stretch specs

fentin_fury

Good morning,

I need some assistance with torque and stretch measurements and hope someone here has them (no guessing please)

RB26

Tomei H beam conrods - with the ARP L19 bolts (no specs in box)

ARP head bolts #202-4207 (2000 series) - again no specs from ARP

Called ARP and got some numbers for the head bolts but they seam too high 125ft/lbs. They refused to give a number for the Conrods.

Even if someone can provide me a number for tomei USA that would be great.

Q

What! you opened her up? Whats up?

Oh yeah - complete rebuild. Tomei conrods, pistons, stage 2 cams, springs, adj. cam gears, fully ported head, tomei oil pump, hks gt-rs turbos, etc. etc.

No - there was nothing wrong with the engine. Pictures out soon of the long block together.

Also have the steering wrack almost done - will post some pics of that as well.

Q

A quick question regarding rb rod bolt torque in general and I am asking it in regards to both stock and aftermarket bolts. When you disassemble the rod caps (used engine, checking bearing condition, etc) should you replace the rod bolts or can you reuse the bolts, and if its ok to retorque the "used" bolts is there a limit as to how many times you can do this before you should invest in new fasteners?

Standard RB26 manual states max of 76 - 83 ft. lbs. on standard head bolts.

ARP states the following:

http://www.arp-bolts.com/Catalog/Catalog.Pages/2005Catalog024.html

86 with ARP moly Lube.

120 with 30 weight oil.

So that sounds right. I remember our resident member Dragonfly mentioning that you'd have to snap over a torque wrench at least 6 times before taking an accurate reading. So that may be something to consider.

EDIT:

Q, i'm not sure if you're doing the final assembly, but whoever is, here's some additional info to consider (bottom of the page)

http://www.aptfast.com/ARP_Additional_Stuff/ARP_notes_info/arp_t_specs.htm

there are some things I didn't consider when I took a look at that. They aren't in any of the 3 assembly books I've read either.

A quick question regarding rb rod bolt torque in general and I am asking it in regards to both stock and aftermarket bolts. When you disassemble the rod caps (used engine, checking bearing condition, etc) should you replace the rod bolts or can you reuse the bolts, and if its ok to retorque the "used" bolts is there a limit as to how many times you can do this before you should invest in new fasteners?

I've heard of people reusing them, but rod bolts tend to be the weakest link in these motors...

sooooooo, pick your pill!

Standard RB26 manual states max of 76 - 83 ft. lbs. on standard head bolts.

ARP states the following:

http://www.arp-bolts.com/Catalog/Catalog.Pages/2005Catalog024.html

86 with ARP moly Lube.

120 with 30 weight oil.

So that sounds right. I remember our resident member Dragonfly mentioning that you'd have to snap over a torque wrench at least 6 times before taking an accurate reading. So that may be something to consider.

EDIT:

Q, i'm not sure if you're doing the final assembly, but whoever is, here's some additional info to consider (bottom of the page)

http://www.aptfast.com/ARP_Additional_Stuff/ARP_notes_info/arp_t_specs.htm

there are some things I didn't consider when I took a look at that. They aren't in any of the 3 assembly books I've read either.

You are correct for the head bolts - the specs I quoted were for the conrod bolts.

Q