HybridZ

76 280z no fuel

Guest jrome

Guest jrome

i have a 76 280z and im having problems with getting fuel. The fuel pump will not turn on when the key is in the on position. When i turn the key to start the car, the fuel pump kicks on and so do the injectors. I checked the voltage the then injectors while the key is in the on position and get nothing also. So i thought it was the fuel injection relay, So i found the power coming into the relay and jumped it to the injectors and the pump on the curcuit coming from the relay and both worked, which led me to believe it was that . I went and bought a new one and still nothing. Im stumped and i cant figure it out.

My 76 had the same problem.

I opened the pump, bought some new o-rings that fit best (can't find the teardrop shape, and they aren't available separately from nissan).

I then put 600grit wet sandpaper on an old window I had laying around, and figure'8'ed the face of the pump spacer until both sides were smooth.

Then I took the small pump gear and the 5 dowels within the pump and sanded them until they were shiney (they had carbon all over).

Run a bit of gasoline through the pump for about 5 minutes without the top on.

Then use an air gun from the TOP of the cap of the pump (the spout/output side) and blow air through the spout to shoot all the dust and particles back out, as there's a small filter I had trouble getting out of there.

Then put it back together with allen head or bolt head screws, not standard screws or the ones that come with the unit.

If they're a little shorter it's ok just take the entire unit with you to the store.

Guest jrome

no it gets gas fine when the pump is pumping . the pump just wont come on when the key is in the on position, it only comes on when its in the start position.

well that's how the 76 EFI system is, i believe.

There's ways to modify it or bypass the EFI relay connections so that it primes the system, but It shouldn't be needed.

They did it so that in the event of an accident, the fuel pump stops pumping once the engine stops turning or something like that. That way it reduces chances of fires.

• 4 months later...
Guest jumpinjimjam

Umm, maybe the fuel cut-off in the afm is not set up right. Had the same symptoms and that's what it was.....visually looked right but after putting circuit tester on it found that contact was not made when the air flap was opened. Therefore not turning fuel pump on. This I believe was a safety feature so the pump would shut off in event of an accident. The fuel pump always comes on for a few secs during start up and it's up to the afm to control it after that. If you take that plastic cover off the afm the contacts are the thin skinny ones on the far left of the unit.

Of course this assumes you are running the stock fuel injection....