HybridZ

Please help with Cranking Settings

Lukaniuk

I cranked and cranked all afternoon, changing all the values in the cranking and after start enrichment tables but no luck. It seems like I'm always flooding it. Sometimes it sounds like it wants to start and it will get around 350rpm sputtering and spurting but it won't go anywhere near an idle. Could the MS Guru's take a look at some of my settings and help me figure this out please!!!!! It was wierd - sometimes it would seem to work good with what seemed like extremely rich numbers and then later what seemed extremely lean.

Details:

82 L28ET stock internals and cam

440 supra injectors + Pallnet FR

T3/T04E

60mm TB

MS1 V3.0

MSnS extra (29y4)

Triggered from the distributor

Followed the write up and wired like shown at http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm

Here's some jpegs of my settings. This is just the last numbers I tried before I gave up this evening. I feel like I've tried a million different combinations for the cranking and after start enrichment tables with no luck. I feel like I've just overlooked something simple and any input would be appreciated. Has anybody had any luck with a similar setup using the 29y4 code?

Constants Page 1_thumb.jpg

Codebase and Output Functions_thumb.jpg

Cranking_thumb.jpg

More Cranking Stuff_thumb.jpg

After Start Enrichment_thumb.jpg

I was just thinking after I posted the first question. I'm also kind of confused on how to setup the throttle body. If the butterfly is closed, will enough air get through for the engine to run? and if not, how much do I have to open the throttle body for enough air to get by? and then how is the TPS supposed to be set?

I can't answer the Megasquirt aspect, but if you think the engine might not be getting enough air to start, is it able to start if you crack open the throttle a tiny bit while you're cranking? Can you open up the idle adjustment screw on the TB?

Do you still have an idle air regulator hooked up with "key-on" power? It is seperate from the EFI system.

HTH, -hughdogz

try setting up your tps. When you have megatune open. click on tools and then click on calibrate tps. Then with your throttle closed click the get current. on the closed setting. next hold your throttle wide open click the get current on the wot setting.

Hughdogz I tried with trying to crack the throttle a little bit, it seemed like it was helping, but it didn't start. I'm not using a idle air controller. I'm going to try adjusting the idle screw next I think

Jeffer I did calibrate the TPS but it didn't seem to do anything. Will that make a difference for starting?

Ya I'm sure its flooding. I pulled one of the plugs out and it was very wet so I took the injection fuses out of the relay board and turned it over a bunch. When I put them back in I tried low values then kept increasing them until it was flooded again.

Here's my tables for ignition and spark. I wasn't adjusting these at all because I didn't think that they were used at all for starting.

I'll try searching for Cygnus' settings

VE table_thumb.jpg

Spark Table_thumb.jpg

I couldn't sleep almost all night last night because I was racking my brain trying to figure out what was wrong and then it dawned on me I'm sure the timing is WAY off for some reason (and then I couldn't sleep b/c I was too excited).

I got to go out to the car tonight and after a little bit of tinkering around with flooded cylinders and weak spark I got the timing light on it again and sure enough something was way off with the timing. I honestly don't know how I had it so messed up. So now in order to get the timing light to match the value in MS for the cranking angle I needed to set the trigger angle at 65 degrees with 0 trigger angle addition. This kind of seemed funny to me because it was so far off of the values that I have seen other people using - but I figure its worth a shot. and BAM! there it is, idling first try! not a very nice idle but idling.

I didn't let it run for long (maybe 10 15 seconds) because it didn't seem to me like it was firing on all cylinders. I hope this is just due to the weak spark I had to deal with when I first started working tonight b/c I don't think that will be too hard to fix.

My new questions are:

1) are the values I have for my trigger angle reasonable? (65 degrees 0 addition) or am I way out to lunch with something here?

2)Where does MS get most of its current from +12V or +12V switched? I know I've got a connection with lots of power for +12V but I'm not so sure about the switched power and I'm not sure how much this will affect my spark. I'm using a relay board from DIY if that makes a difference