HybridZ

96 saab to 429 mercery

woldson

My wife's 96 9000 cs auto craped out on me again.

The frist one I replaced about a year ago. The new one was supposed to have about 76k on it.

What a turd of a car.

So now I have a 96 9000 cse manuel that my father crashed and will attempte to swap that manuel into my wifes car. I'am 800+ so far and this will cost me to. I can't believe how much time and money I'am putting into this .... car, while my 83zx is being ignored and still serveing me well.

The only funny part is my wife and 3 children will be cruising around in my grandmothers 1969 mercury marquie colony park, baby blue, station wagon!! This car has a 429 with a edelbrock 4 barrell 750 cfm carb and edelbrock preformer manifould. (that work I did) Also has been upgraded from points to elctronic ignition. (not me)

Can't say she loves this car, but man that car can sit and get!!

The engine is all stock out side a water pump (me) and the other things mentioned above.

THIS CAR IS HUGE!! I will have to give you guys a pic up against my ignored zx.

That 429 would look nice in someones Z....

Agreed, but unless you're leaving it stock expect to need a wallet the size of that wagon... Big block ford motors ain't cheap to build. Ask Dr. Hunt, I recall him having some experience building big buck/block ford motors.

Yea, but that's the old SAE gross HP I believe, meaning it'll never make that in real life.

When they changed the rating method most vehicles took a good 20% hit on their power ratings.

But even at a 20% loss, that's still nearly 370 torque, which is not bad at all.

This is true.

BUT with the 4barrel instead of the 2 and electronic ignition and duel bigger exaust.......

She is very speedy with these mods. I'am thinking that it actually may beat my ZX, however I don't want to spend the money on gas to find out.

What really funny with that car is that if someone get the jump on me it takes forever to get ahead of them. By the time car gets through second the ricer will be in 4th, 5th gear. Even spaking someone you have to just get to there front bumper, which will be only one car lenth, but really its two.

Now on to car stuff. Due to the high compression engine I have to run premium and octane boost. YEIKS! So I'am going retard timing and run middle grade gas. Now if my wife keeps here foot off the gas, should I have to much to worry about dealing with silent ping?

I put middle grade gas in it and it is aready ping with medium throttle. I believe the car has 10.5 to 1 compression.

One other thing the manifold is for more tourque as well.

With that motor pushing less than 1hp per cubic inch, or even there abouts you shouldn't have to worry too much about ping destroying the engine. Engine destroying ping usually only happens in high HP applications where a mild ping at full load causes compression to go way past tolorence, or when a mildly modified motor is pinging constantly and severely. It's completely normal for a lot of older engines to ping slightly when under load going uphill when completely stock.

But you've got the right idea. Put some mid grade in it, and pull that timing back a bit. My only big block ford experience is with the 460, but I think it should be able to handle todays pump gas.