HybridZ

Injectors vs. Ethanol issue

datsun79z

I've spent the time "searching" this question but have not found a satisfactory answer.

The issue..I read/hear of Z owners (usually 85 and newer) having problems with clogged injectors due to Ethanol used in today's gases. I do not hear of this problem with the older Z's as often.

The questions..

1. Were earlier injectors less prone to these issues or are there just a lot less of them on the road today?

2. What additives, if any can be used with today's gases to prevent this problem, if any?

3. What is the physical relationship between the fuel and fuel injector, i.e is the fuel "not cleaning' or 'not lubricasting' moving parts.

I look forward to your comments;

Regards;

Mike Hintz

Ethanol is corrosive to steel, aluminum and some plastics. Ethanol is also hydroscopic and absorbs water. My theory is that the ethanol has corroded something in the fuel system, causing crud to plug the injectors, or possibly corroding and seizing the injectors themselves. I don't know of any additives that can prevent that, and the best solution would be to make sure everything in your fuel system is ethanol compatible: stainless steel, anodized aluminum, etc.

E85 is corrosive, if you convert a previously gasoline powered vehicle the E85 will basically clean or loosen dirt or buildup in the system causing debris to flow down the line. Swapping to E85 without first changing filters and cleaning out the fuel system is bound to cause problems. A proper swap would involve a complete fuel system tear down and inspection/replacement of all hoses, O-rings, Filters and tubes. With that in mind though, there are several high milage, original fuel system cars running E85 conversions with no modifications other than upping the fuel requirement and swapping out for a new filter. While I don't recommend this approach, research and testimonials have shown it to be valid. keep in mind that that your results may vary and you must ultimately make the final decision.

I believe the impetus behind this post is because in the PDX area, there has been a recent rash of injector failures on Z31's and Z32's.

If a new ethanol formulation (in conventional pump gas) truly tears apart the inside of the rubber FI hoses, then the hoses must be replaced to a ethanol-tolerant type as well as having to replace or repair the injectors.

I'm interested to know the answer too. Replacing all the hoses now would definately be cheaper (and easier) than having to replace the injectors again and again.

Ethanol eats away all natural materials to iirc.

So natural rubber fuel lines and gaskets will be destroyed. Everything needs to a synthetic and such. I think the problem a lot of older vehicals have, is they didn't have to worry about the gas destroying the gaskets and rubber lines to the point of engine damage. Ethanol is pretty corrosive stuff haha.

Many gas stations have percentages of 10% or more alcohol and the fuel is still considered "gas".

A lot of fuel lines are shedding the inside diameter of the hoses into the rest of the fuel system.

That can't be the root cause, because if it were, then swapping a new old style (pre-'94) Z32 injector for the failure would solve the issue. It doesn't - the failure rate is still high. The only *long term* solution for Z32 injector failure is swapping to the new style injector (94+).