HybridZ

Why won't it start!?!?! I've been at it all day.

Mauisnow13

So today I replaced the alternator on my 240z's L26. I also replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs. They were very black. Still though, it is not wanting to start. I have checked to make sure it is getting fuel and all, and everything seems to be ok.

Keep in mind my wiring is shot so I have to start the engine with a screwdriver. The ignition doesn't work.

The engine will crank, but it does not fire at all. It doesn't even begin to get compression. A couple days ago it was starting, but not staying on. I found out the key was off. duh. I turned it on and tried again. Nothing. I finally gave up. It was starting fine almost everytime I jumped it and now it wasn't firing at all. Ever since then it hasn't tried to turn over. Just cranks.

Any ideas? My dad and I are completely stumped and naturally I'm starting to get a bit frustrated.

Thanks,

Amren

Guest 280ZForce

it's because you took the front bumper off, the polarity of it acted like a grounding system, simply install the bumper back on and viola.

haha jk,just messing with you... but maybe when the old alternator gave up the ghost it blew a fuse or shorted out some wiring? maybe it died because of an existing electrical issue that finally surfaced?

Do you know how many wiring issues I have? hahahaha. My ignition doesn't work at all. The only way to get the car to crank is to cross the bolts on the starter and solenoid with a screwdriver.

The engine cranks, just doesn't fire. Could this really be because of an electrical issue?

Although this may not solve your current problem, I have to ask myself why you are trying to start a car with such electrical issues. You should really be focusing on a plan to fix the electrical issues firrst. I've been there, and I'm currently wearing the t-shirt :)

Get a plan. I was very confused by the masses of relays and little black boxes all over the place but wanted to master everything. So I decided to rip out all the wiring and install a custom wiring loom. This approach meant I knew every wire in the car and I also managed to reduce weight by abouy 15 lbs. It's not as scary as you think. I've done this three times now on different cars using a different supplier of the loom each time. My current car is wired as a race car and has no ignition key, just a bank of switches for everything and a starter button. The alternator is a Chevy 1-wire unit so there is no voltage regulator or other such junk.

Really, don't try to fix one problem when there are several more that lie before it.

I am planning on doing an L28et swap, but I'm still working on the body. Once the body is done, I'll replace the engine, tranny, and wiring. I don't want to spend too much getting this running.

I would like it to run so it is easier to move to where I need it. I ran fine before, but stopped. Oh well, I guess it's time to push it places.

Sounds like you have no power to the coil. Have you verified spark at the coil? (Pull the center wire off the dist. cap, hold it with insulated pliers about 1/4 inch away from a good ground and crank the car over. You should get a big spark from the end of the wire. If not, check to see if you have 12v. at the + side of the coil.