HybridZ

Clutch pedal losing pressure.

I have been having a problem with my clutch over the last 6 months or so, but it has just now become bad enough to require attention.

the symptoms:

-I have to pump the pedal a few times to build pressure in the mornings (maybe 5 times before i can stick it in first gear)

-There is no fluid on the ground, in fact it has gone the past 6 months with no bleeding or replacing fluid.

-When the pumping is going on, air bubbles are coming up in the reservoir.

-there was a lot of air in the line when I bled it last night.

So the clutch system is pretty simple, just a master, a slave and some hose in between. This problem should not be that hard to track down. What has me confused is that there is obviously air in the lines, but there are no visible leaks of clutch fluid anywhere.

hmmmm....I just replaced my master cylinder this weekend with similar symptoms.

You're getting air in the system...are you also losing fluid (is the level going down in the reservoir)?

You said there were no leaks - did you get under the dash and feel around the grommet on the master cylinder - where the pushrod comes out to attach to your clutch pedal? That's where my leak was - very small but it was there and I had fluid on my finger when I touched it.

A new cylinder was $35 at Black Dragon Auto - I installed in 2 hours (with bleed time!) with my limited knowledge - great upgrade :)

get under the dash and feel around the grommet on the master cylinder - where the pushrod comes out to attach to your clutch pedal? That's where my leak was - very small but it was there and I had fluid on my finger when I touched it.

:iagree:

olie05,

What parts if any have been replaced? How old are they?

ah ok, the MC has never been replaced, and the slave has been replaced, although I blew through 2 of those in the past.

Seems like the problem is the MC. Time to replace it i guess.

Bingo! Mine was last replaced in 1991 at 86,000 miles...it was time.

It's a pretty easy DIY - just have some rags around for when you bleed/drain the system and remove the old MC...don't get brake fluid on your paint!