HybridZ

New lighter undercoating

GOTHALOSISM

I found a newer product that is good for undercoating or doing the engine bay. Its lighter than rhino liner and it sprays on easy and it cleans up with soap and water if so needed. Its called lizard skin. Check it out. I'll be using it when I get around to puting my Z on a rotisserie.

Thats my 2 cents for today. You can prob also tint it any color if so needed. Not sure on that yet though.

If any of you guys have heard of POR15, it works great as an undercoating as well as a rust converter. It cost about 45 for a quart and is ready to spray. POR15 reacts with oxygen so it hardens fast and extremely hard so that it doesnt chip away. Most automotive paint stores have it in stock or can order it. I work for Sherwin Williams Automotive Finishes and i keep it in stock and can have more ordered in about a day so its pretty easy to access. It can be sprayed put of an ordinary gun with no problems but you have to clean the gun right away so it doesn't harden to fast.

I've used lizard skin twice, once for cutting part of the spare wheel well and another time to coat the frame rail caps. It sound proofs, protects and insulates as well as being much lighter than regular undercoating. I rolled it on underneath, but it leaves a crude finish like undercoat. I've seen people spray it on and it comes out like bed liner, not super smooth, but even. The downside is it is expensive. The ceramic insulator plus gun is going to run you about $350, but there is enough stuff to probably do a couple of cars. You can also paint the stuff when you are finished for a real finished look.

I've used lizard skin twice, once for cutting part of the spare wheel well and another time to coat the frame rail caps. It sound proofs, protects and insulates as well as being much lighter than regular undercoating. I rolled it on underneath, but it leaves a crude finish like undercoat. I've seen people spray it on and it comes out like bed liner, not super smooth, but even. The downside is it is expensive. The ceramic insulator plus gun is going to run you about $350, but there is enough stuff to probably do a couple of cars. You can also paint the stuff when you are finished for a real finished look.

Also, you have to have it heated before applying. I think its redundant if you have enough for a couple cars when you're just needing to apply one car.

Well my foot is nicely placed in my mouth, so I'd like to apologize, ls1. I didn't read your whole post and just assumed that you were some newb who heard about this magic POR15 stuff that cures all rust or whatever. Sorry to jump to conclusions and welcome to HybridZ, by the way.

Ben

Also, you have to have it heated before applying. I think its redundant if you have enough for a couple cars when you're just needing to apply one car.

You don't have to heat it if the air temp is warm enough. I applied it at 60 degrees and it went on fine. Of course, here in Phoenix the day times highs never really get that cold.

It would have been nice if they sold it in smaller quantities, but after using it, I'm really happy with it and am glad I have enough to do the entire interior of my camaro.