HybridZ

"How to make your Z Sound better"

Daeron

I just read this article on http://www.zhome.com and it rang many bells with what I have always wanted to do in my Z as far as speaker placement, at least in the rear. I will leave it to you to read the (very brief but well written) article to discover the front layout, but in short, the rear deck had been artificially raised, the amps "sunk" in just behind the seats, the 15" subwoofer enclosed in the spare tire well, (also flush-mount, grill protected,) and he built an enclosure similar to the one commonly available (I know Motorsport sells it) that replaced his plastic tail light panel. It had mid range and bass drivers (not subs) located in it.

To quote the article, "This still allows for full use of the rear area with only a small loss of space due to the raised deck," and is the keystone of my much more modest concept.

-

For the purposes of this particular discussion, front speaker location is irrelevant.. I will explain why when I am done describing my idea. I always envisioned one, or maybe two small amps located vertical behind the seats, stock rear deck height, keep the spare, and build an enclosure replacing the tail light panel.

This enclosure would house three chambers:

One square central chamber with MAYBE a 10" sub, or possibly two small 8s. I am not a fan of earth shattering bass, and the Z is a fairly small space. I want my car to reverberate a LITTLE at subsonic frequencies, but I am more into intricate music and tone than overpowering bass.

Two chambers on the front side, on either wing, built to house my favorite speakers in the world, 6x9 Infiniti Kappa 3 ways (tweeters, anyone?) The KEYSTONE of my plan came from having a pair of these kicking around on boxes for years (the speakers got trashed, for the record. :( )

I want to set the speakers up so that they are projected DIRECTLY along the curved path of the rooftop of the 2 seater Z. I SWEAR I could tell a WORLD of difference with my blown-out woofer, head unit-driven kappas when I had them propped up to aim on this curve, relative to when they simply sat in the standard little 6x9 boxes sitting in the exact same spot. I never MISSED front speakers when I had them set up properly, which is why I didn't bother mentioning any thoughts for front speaker placement. ANYthing (decent 4" 2-ways in the console) will fill out a tiny bit for stereo effect.

-

In the end it just seems to me that the acoustics in the car (at least, with the engine off :-D) BEG for this to be done, but I cannot say that I have specifically noticed anyone else placing speakers with that curvature in mind... Am I wrong? Has anyone else tried this thought? Forget the specifics of my plan.. I am pretty certain thats just about what I need to get what I want. I am mostly curious what people's thoughts are on the concept pf placing the rear speakers to take advantage of that roofline we all love so much.

Let me tell you something,you can listen to all the music you want at home.

But seriously how are going to hear anytihing over the engine?no matter how good the stereo is.Maybe its just me but I am a believer in if it dosn't make the car go faster it dosn't belong on the car. Dont get me wrong I love a good car stereo but I have had so many of them stolen,I just dont want to take the chance anymore.

Cool stuff! I have the MSA box in the rear with the Infinity Kappa 3-way 6x9's w/ Alpine type R 5 1/4's in the doors powered by a Alpine f-250 amp w/ alpine head unit. I'm planning on swapping to Infinity Kappa 6 1/4's in the doors w/ tweeters that have crossovers, and putting a Kenwood 150 amp amplified box with a 6-1/2" sub and a 6-1/2" radiance speaker in my tire well. I also have fatmat and jute throughout the interior. I really like my music. Now I know where to mount my tweeters.

Anyone have experience or know anyone who has tried this Kenwood amplified box setup? http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=51000&i=113KSCSW1&tp=114