HybridZ

Piston ring information

Dayz

Guys,

I have search and couldn't find the thread that was talking about all the different type and material of piston rings and for which application.

I thought that BRAAP posted this info a while ago...

I am building a stock engine, L24 E31 head-P30 Block and I was wondering what type of ring to use, Cast, poly, chrome...

I am lost guys,

Thanks

Dayz

I have re-built about 15 L-series over the last 30 years and I have had better results using aftermarket rings with a moly (short for molybdenum) coating. Sealed Power Moly rings are my preference (they are even cheaper than the Nissan rings), but there are other quality brands out there.

The Nissan cast stock rings have a chrome coated compression (top) ring and unless the re-honing is done correctly they can take 10K miles to seal. Piston ring technology has improved substantially over the last 15 years. Any stock Nissan ring has probably been sitting a on a shelf for longer than that.

Do a Goggle on the benefits of moly coatings (and also steel vs. cast rings). Lots of good info out there.

• 4 months later...