HybridZ

dyno time and tool addicts

if you get a chance to dyno your car for the first time, JUMP ON IT , if the cost is reasonable, but in many cases it requires about 2-3 hours and parts changing to get good results, if your trying to dyno tune the car while your testing.

you need to allow the engine to cool off between runs, plugs to be changed and inspected, possiably O2 sensors changed, carbs re-jetted etc.

and most dyno charge by the hour. $200-$400 is comonly the final cost.

ENJOY THE EXPERIANCE:thumbsup:

I suppose we all need to visit a dyno ocasionally, just to verify the results we got from mods we have done, and If youve never been its a good experiance, and youll learn a few things, and probably find your car makes a completely differant hp level than you thought it did.

but after youve been a couple times you start thinking about all the TOOLS that $400 can buy for your shop and how many parts that $400 could buy , IR TEMP GUNS, DIAL BACK TIMING LIGHTS,JET ASSORTMENTS,A/F RATIO GAUGES, diagnostic software, vacuum gauges and digital multi-meters,exhaust back pressure gauges, ETC, and if your like many older guys, (you find that a few dyno shops are not staffed with the brightest lights on the tree,more like car crazed minimum wage, high school rejects in a few cases) guys that know LESS that you do about correctly tuning a car, they look at the F/A mix and the timing and exhaust temp info and can generally improve your cars performance.....but you can do the exact same thing with the correct test equipment, real time data log software, reading plug condition, and your experiance and YOU owning the tools and YOU GAINing the experiance & knowledge if YOU do the tunning is a better investment for YOUR money......yeah youll still occasionally go to the DYNO, but if your like me your hearing your wallet scream ALL THE TIME YOUR THERE, and HAVING THOUGHTS ABOUT the TOOLS YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT INSTEAD!

I think what Grumpy is getting at is that if you invest in some tools and have the know how (that's the tough part), that you can potentially gain more from tuning in the garage with your own equipment than dropping cash and hoping a dyno shop will help net any gain.

Did someone have a bad experience at the Dyno recently?

NO not really, Im just stating what Ive seen after several visits to several dynos to get cars friends own dyno tested, in several citys ....like every thing else in life theres good carring knowledgable guys running some businesses and a few guys who could care less and just want your cash for putting your car on thier dyno equipment, they purchased thinking that like a car wash its a tool and profit center thats meant to have a line of cars going thru as fast as you can process them.

that and guys that think that without a dyno you can,t tune a car, now I think most guys running dynos are decent and skilled car guys tring to make back an investment on equipment and help clients improve thier cars, but Ive been to enough places and watched enought dyno testing to know they vary wildly in the skill and concern levels of those operateing them

I won,t mention names or even cities, but I will point out that knowing what to expect helps

BTW have your car well strapped down, bust the straps holding the car in place and it gets expensive/dangerous

BTW, Ive had a couple guys dyno engines Ive built to find out if they got decent numbers, (they did)