HybridZ

fuel pump question.

voltron_boi

I have a 1975 Datsun 280z, drop an rb25det into it. I am carious if its a must to change the oem fuel pump in order to start the car. Can I just leave the fuel pump the way it is?also I was just wondering where is the fuel pump located at. I have been told that its underneath the car and i would have to take off the fuel tank. iIwanna be positive before I do it. Anyone help, im always done with the project.

You will def need to change the fuel pump to something with more capacity.... if you are looking for the cheap way out pickup a walbro 255hp off ebay for like $100, make sure you get one that has an in and out barb on it as that is how the oem fuel pump seems to be.

Internet was going slow this morning. I actually pressed reply, turn my monitor off and left to work, but it didn't post!

The fuel pump is external and it is bolted near the rear passenger wheel well. on the underside of where the interior tool boxes are (those 2 boxes behind the seats). take off the passenger rear wheel safely, and slip under there and undo the clamp. You might have a heck of a time removing the line from the tank to the pump and to the fuel line. Also, make sure your fuel tank is empty before you do that! (there's a drain bolt on the tank).

Now to the somewhat more technical part.

the stock 76 EFI pump flows roughly 40 gph or so with a 43 psi line pressure (correct me on this, anyone?). that's 150 +/- litres per hour.

that will not provide the required fuel as mentioned by the synthtk. And a walbro 255 (LOOK FOR GENUINE ONES, THERE ARE FAKES!), will be right up your alley if u plan to keep the engine stock for a bit. You can always add a second one later anyway.

If you have a 75, you may have a different pump cause it's a carb system in most cases...

EITHER WAY, you need a higher capacity fuel pump.

:icon14: