HybridZ

Mustache Bar Bushings... I did something bad...

rudypoochris

Oops. I think I did something bad. I had the bushings pressed out by the local machine shop thinking I was slick. Well... I took a look at the replacement bushings... then the hole I had. Well appears that I had them remove the metal outside bit which apparently doesn't seem like it should be removed... View photos below. I have play in the up down and wiggle around (axis) directions. So should I just have a sleeve made to the specifications (also below) or does someone else have a better idea? Or even better yet, is there an available replacement? Thanks guys!

ab.jpg

aa.jpg

ac.jpg

ae.jpg

af.jpg

ad.jpg

Ya you messed up. i would get some tubing that was the proper size and just press it in. i dont think you would need the top and bottom lips

I think I need the lips since the bushings touch each other w/o the lips... I could probably just machine the bushings down though.

Oops. I think I did something bad. I had the bushings pressed out by the local machine shop thinking I was slick. Well... I took a look at the replacement bushings... then the hole I had. Well appears that I had them remove the metal outside bit which apparently doesn't seem like it should be removed... View photos below. I have play in the up down and wiggle around (axis) directions. So should I just have a sleeve made to the specifications (also below) or does someone else have a better idea? Or even better yet, is there an available replacement? Thanks guys!

Just head down to your local exhaust shop and have then sell you a piece of exhaust pipe. I don't remember the size but one of them is a perfect fit. I then took a ball pien hammer and piened over the edges. It was a quick and easy fix.

Thanks guys, I will look into the exhaust piping thing a bit. I have messaged JSK to see if he is up for making some sleeves. :)

I have a machine shop here at school, but I am trying to think how I am going to bore out the center to 46mm from the available tube sizes I see on McMaster.

Funny! I just dealt with this last week. The bar I just put in my car came out of another Z and had poly bushings and was missing the sleeves. I went down to the exhaust shop and got a small section of 2" pipe. I then cut 2 sections at 1.5" long and cut a split long ways down the pipe. I then just tapped it in with a hammer, slid the new poly bushings in and good as new. :)

280Z-06_Pics_076_Medium_.jpg

So if I am understanding this correctly Savage... you took 2" exhaust tubing, cut a slit up it vertically and let it get crushed by the mustache bar, then put the bushings in... Did it eliminate slop? What did you do to make the up/down direction tight - bend it with a hammer over the top? Thanks!

Savage: Any issues with the front differential crossmember modified as shown in the photograph? The thinner material over the extra hump has me wondering about future implications?

I used a plasma cutter and made a very precise cut and then installed the thick walled tubing, made sure that all the contact areas were flush and welded it all the way around. It bolted right back into place without an problems. With the rear suspension removed, I jacked up the car several times by that crossmember with no deflection at all. Don't see any possible issues with it.

So if I am understanding this correctly Savage... you took 2" exhaust tubing, cut a slit up it vertically and let it get crushed by the mustache bar, then put the bushings in... Did it eliminate slop? What did you do to make the up/down direction tight - bend it with a hammer over the top? Thanks!

Correct. It was still a tight fit, as I had to hammer it in place. It's not going to move and with everything bolted in place, it couldn't move, anyway. The sleeve was really tight fit and the bushings had absolutely no slop and had to push it into the new sleeve. It worked out perfectly. Hope that helps.