HybridZ

LT1 Camaro engine (Free) + 78 280z (Free) = ?'s

It is true,both for free.I got the jtr catalogue and read it but some things are still a bit foggy (Really great book,that helps a million) But about t5's and 350 lt1's can you drive it daily or is it better to invest in a T56 and refinance my house(J/K),On a more serious note is there anyone who regrets the t5 and thinks they should have gone with a T56? And how much will a decent quality driveshaft run me? Opinions Gladly taken!!! Please no replys that say "Search" Or "Read"! Please...

Not sure what you mean by "can you drive it daily".

A little google searching found this.

Gear ratio for the T5:

Gear Ratios : 2.95, 1.94, 1.34, 1.00, .62

Gear ratio for the T56:

Gear Ratios : 3.36, 2.07, 1.35, 1.00, .80, .62

Little bit deeper gearing in the first 2 gears on the T56 but you're going to have plenty of HP to launch with the LT1 as a daily driver. The overdrive final gearing is the same so its a wash for highway driving. Top end, even with a 3.91 rear gear you're never going to come close to topping out with either overdrive unless you're insane, LOL!

Remember there are 2 different T5s, you want the world calss to take the torque of the LT1 and they are getting rare. The late model fbody cars only used the T5 with a V6. V8s got the T56.

All this coming from someone that went with a 4L60E automatic for my LT1 swap.

It is true,both for free.I got the jtr catalogue and read it but some things are still a bit foggy (Really great book,that helps a million) But about t5's and 350 lt1's can you drive it daily or is it better to invest in a T56 and refinance my house(J/K),On a more serious note is there anyone who regrets the t5 and thinks they should have gone with a T56? And how much will a decent quality driveshaft run me? Opinions Gladly taken!!! Please no replys that say "Search" Or "Read"! Please...

Not sure what you mean by "can you drive it daily".

A little google searching found this.

Gear ratio for the T5:

Gear Ratios : 2.95, 1.94, 1.34, 1.00, .62

Gear ratio for the T56:

Gear Ratios : 3.36, 2.07, 1.35, 1.00, .80, .62

Little bit deeper gearing in the first 2 gears on the T56 but you're going to have plenty of HP to launch with the LT1 as a daily driver. The overdrive final gearing is the same so its a wash for highway driving. Top end, even with a 3.91 rear gear you're never going to come close to topping out with either overdrive unless you're insane, LOL!

Remember there are 2 different T5s, you want the world calss to take the torque of the LT1 and they are getting rare. The late model fbody cars only used the T5 with a V6. V8s got the T56.

All this coming from someone that went with a 4L60E automatic for my LT1 swap.

Deja:

The F-body only had that gearing in '93, for 94-02 the first gear was 2.66 and sixth was .50:1.

ReefsRocket:

The T56 is indestructible with a stock LT1, and with minor upgrades can handle ~700rwhp in a 3500lb car (ask me how I know;-)). So I would highly recommend it. However, you don't really need it in a light car. So if the budget is you main concern, don't break the bank.

If you do want to find one, Camaro websites are the place to look. Don't buy a corvette T56 unless you want to get into some serious modification.

PCMs and stock wiring harness aren't that expensive. They are on EBay all the time. Check your local JY. The PCM will need reprogrammed anyway so the doner car isn't that importent. What did your LT1 come out of?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-camaro-lt1-t0-t56-wiring-harness_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ010QQitemZ200216332976QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95-5-7l-LT1-Impala-SS-Camaro-Z28-ECU-PCM-Computer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33596QQihZ025QQitemZ380016237905QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I appreciate it alot,There is only one problem.The LT1 doesn't have a computer or wiring harness which might be hard to find and almost pricey.But one should pop up one day...Im going to start on the motor trans this week. THANKS!

Deja:

The F-body only had that gearing in '93, for 94-02 the first gear was 2.66 and sixth was .50:1.

See, you really can't believe everything you read on the web, LOL. Still, lord knows what anyone would do with 6th gear other than get better gas milage when cruising.

See, you really can't believe everything you read on the web, LOL. Still, lord knows what anyone would do with 6th gear other than get better gas milage when cruising.

That's what it's intended for, to meet CAFE requirements. My 99 Z28 regularly saw 27+mpg on the highway, and 22 mpg in town with "spirited" driving.:burnout:

ReefsRocket:

If you wanted to simplify the process I believe you can find a carb intake for the LT1. I know that they make them for the GenIII motors, I'm not 100% about the GenII though. I'll look into it for you.

I was just saying for drivabilty as a daily driver the T5 would be fine and the expense of the T56 would only benifit him during highway driving.

You're right, with the rear ratios they put in the Camaros highway economy was amazing. I'm getting close to 19 in town with my 280Z LT1 with an automatic and a 3.54 rear. The only road trip I've done was to DNI and it got 21.5.

That's what it's intended for, to meet CAFE requirements. My 99 Z28 regularly saw 27+mpg on the highway, and 22 mpg in town with "spirited" driving.:burnout:

ReefsRocket:

If you wanted to simplify the process I believe you can find a carb intake for the LT1. I know that they make them for the GenIII motors, I'm not 100% about the GenII though. I'll look into it for you.

It would be cheaper to just get a JY harness and PCM than to put together a carb setup for the LT1, due to the reverse coolling you can't use just any SBC intake. Besides, the EFI system is really what makes the LT1 such a great engine, lose that and you might as well build a standard SBC.

You might also consider just getting a PCM, they're on ebay all the time, and a harness from Painless Performance or one of thier competitors. It's a little more expensive but you know the harness is complete and new, not always the case when using JY parts.

Wheelman

It would be cheaper to just get a JY harness and PCM than to put together a carb setup for the LT1, due to the reverse coolling you can't use just any SBC intake. Besides, the EFI system is really what makes the LT1 such a great engine, lose that and you might as well build a standard SBC.

You might also consider just getting a PCM, they're on ebay all the time, and a harness from Painless Performance or one of thier competitors. It's a little more expensive but you know the harness is complete and new, not always the case when using JY parts.

Wheelman

I don't know what you consider cheap, but $260 for a manifold isn't too bad.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NAL%2D24502592&autoview=sku

This also allows you to use a standard distributor, and as anyone familiar with the optispark can tell you, that's an option that is worth its weight in gold.

As far as what makes the LT1 so great, I would say it's the cylinder head design. There are many EFI setups for GenI SBCs, but it's the highly refined, very efficient combustion chamber of the LT1 that makes it special.

That being said, the LT1 is only great in stock form compared to other stock motors. I'd take a Dart Pro 1 headed SBC over an LT1 any day, and a GenIII motor over both of them.:burnout:

Edit: On a side note if all you need is a PCM I can get one for you for a lot less than you will spend going another route, just PM me.

PCMs and stock wiring harness aren't that expensive. They are on EBay all the time. Check your local JY. The PCM will need reprogrammed anyway so the doner car isn't that importent. What did your LT1 come out of?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-camaro-lt1-t0-t56-wiring-harness_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ010QQitemZ200216332976QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95-5-7l-LT1-Impala-SS-Camaro-Z28-ECU-PCM-Computer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33596QQihZ025QQitemZ380016237905QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I just looked at your links and wanted to make mention that to the best of my knowledge those two pieces will not work together. There are differences between the 93, 94-95, and 96-97 computer systems, and they need the corresponding wiring harness.

Much Thanks,The engine has "98 camaro lt1" written on it in yellow ink but i dont think it came in 98!?1?I'll get the casting number and check it out.But im 90% sure its a 95-97 lt1...I think and hope i come through with a T-56.And about making it carbureted,It wont pass/Be approved at the referee center which someday i hope to visit and make the Rocket street legal.I'LL let you know "jerminator" about a harness if you see this befor your PM... Thanks for everyones help like always!

Much Thanks,The engine has "98 camaro lt1" written on it in yellow ink but i dont think it came in 98!?1?I'll get the casting number and check it out.But im 90% sure its a 95-97 lt1...I think and hope i come through with a T-56.And about making it carbureted,It wont pass/Be approved at the referee center which someday i hope to visit and make the Rocket street legal.I'LL let you know "jerminator" about a harness if you see this befor your PM... Thanks for everyones help like always!

You are correct, the Camaro received the LS1 in 98 (the Vette got it in 97). I found a cheap harness and computer but they are for a '93, so I'll just have to keep an eye out for you.

For sure,Its kinda wild because the 280z is auto and i got all the clutch parts for less then 28 dollars and it had a brand new Clutch Master cylinder i found.but its being converted to be converted,if that makes sense.(Just thought id throw that out there).But what about megasqaurt on the lt1?(Im the noobest when it comes to megasqaurt)Ha...PS:I'm gonna leave the outside shitty* silver like it is,so civic noobs with all but an intake think they can take the beast. But megasqaurt...Yes or no?can it even work?

For sure,Its kinda wild because the 280z is auto and i got all the clutch parts for less then 28 dollars and it had a brand new Clutch Master cylinder i found.but its being converted to be converted,if that makes sense.(Just thought id throw that out there).But what about megasqaurt on the lt1?(Im the noobest when it comes to megasqaurt)Ha...PS:I'm gonna leave the outside shitty* silver like it is,so civic noobs with all but an intake think they can take the beast. But megasqaurt...Yes or no?can it even work?

Yes it can. The turbo guys will sometimes use a megasquirt because of the limitations of a stock computer, and the financial limitations of not being able to afford a FAST system.

I am not 100% sure that I've ever seen someone use a megasquirt without also using the stock PCM. That being said, I think most of that has to do with the fact that they still have the camaro, so the stock PCM is good for running the electronic gauges and everything else.

Your best bet would be to call the guys at megasquirt and ask them, they may tell you that their system can't work with the optispark (though I don't know why) or they may say that it will work fine. I'm 100% sure that it can control your fuel though.

Again, my question would be, why spend the time and money on that when you can get a stock PCM and harness for ~$150? You could even use the '93 setup that I found, you just wouldn't be able to use a MAF, it would have to be tuned in "speed density" configuration. Which is fine unless you want to add forced induction or nitrous.

Yes, you can use MegaSquirt, and even make your own harness. For the Z, no fancy dash electronics are needed, and to get rid of the nasty optispark, just use a Ford EDIS 8 system. With that, Megasquirt can even control your spark timing. An assembled MS kit and the EDIS should not cost you more than $350ish. Mine can read the MAF, and will easily adapt to FI or any other changes I wish to make. Quick question, and sorry to form hijack, but what T5 Bellhousing will bolt to an LT1 (sorry, tranny newbie)

GeKing,

The stock Camaro bellhousing from the 83-89 years will bolt right up to the LT1, thats what I'm using with my WC T5.

ReefsRocket,

First off, MS is not a company, it's an open source project to build an engine control system, you can't call them. The website to start researching at is http://www.msefi.com.

As for using MS with an LT1, yes it's possible but not as easy as a standard SBC. The Ford EDIS is an option but then you have to have a custom 36-1 wheel machined that works with the LT1 harmonic dampener. The optical portion of the opti-spark can be used to trigger the MS tach input without to much trouble but it takes some work to get it set up correctly. I've been wanting to give this a try but I have my engine running great on the stock PCM so don't want to mess it up. The one big advantage (maybe) MS gives you is the ability to rev the engine above 6500 RPM.

If you find a 94-95 PCM it will be flashable, you don't have to remove an eprom chip to reprogram it. This ability and the right software (LT1Edit or TunerCat) gives you the ability to adjust all the settings in the PCM.

You're asking good questions, continue to do your research before deciding on the direction you want to take.

Wheelman