HybridZ

NZR: Rear brakes locking before fronts

This is not Z related, but I can't seem to figure it out so thought I would post. I have a 1992 Ford Explorer. It had Ford OE replacement pads all around. I changed out the rear shoes (drums in rear) with Napa replacement pads a little while ago. Ever since then the rears have been locking before the fronts on panic stops. I would think this means that the Napa pads are too aggressive, but someone mentioned that it may be due to the fact that I did not get the drums resurfaced. Would resurfacing the drums matter (they are not pitted or anything like that)? The person mentioned that the old pads probably left a little glaze or something similar that is gripping. Would a quick hit with 100-200 grain sand paper be advisable? Thanks.

I would first adjust the rear drum brakes manually per the procedure in the FSM. Yanking on the e-brake only tightens up the rear brake adjustment. If the rear brakes are too tight already, they need to be manually adjusted.

I believe the drum brakes automatically adjust every time I apply them while the car is reversing (I set them loose when I first installed them, then let the brakes tighten by reversing and stopping a couple of times). I think I will have the drums turned... if that does not solve the issue I guess it might just be time for stickier pads in front. :/