HybridZ

Is the Borg Warner T5 a good trans?

cholag

I just went through 4 pages of searching about t5's and I got a lot of mixed reviews. Some people said its a fantasic transmission others say you cant ride it hard and it breaks a lot. Well I have an 1983 280zxt auto and I want to swap the trans, so today I went to the pick a parts and there it was an almost complete 1983 280zxt manual. So I am pretty sure I will be going to get it tomorrow because its only $60, but I still want to know what you guys really think of that trans.

The junk yard I went to is called parts galore on 8 mile and hover in Michigan. So if anyone knows where that is the car still has the dizzy, turbo, p90a head, cam, and t-tops. I just listed the things I thought were most important but there is no valve cover and j-pipe.

Greetings,

For $60.00 you can go wrong, get it! Besides is a very good transmission and is fairly easy to rebuild. Heck get the whole engine. If you don’t mind I am interesting on the distributor if is not too expensive, please let me know if you are willing to shipped to my place. Sent me a PM with details price, shipping etc...

Respectfully,

Alex

The t-5 is a fine transmission, especially behind the OEM powerplants. Issues I heard are related to 3rd gear on hard shifting with high torque powerplants (strong V8 power), or 5th gear pulls. What are your options if you don't want the T-5?

I was going to go with an N/A trans and get the drive shaft and diff, but now since I got the t5 I wont have to worry about swaping out the drive shaft and diff. I will post pics of it soon I also got the pedals for $7.50!

JUNK YARDS RULE!!!

Part of the problem with searching for reveiws on the T5 is that it is kind of like asking people if GM makes good cars. There were so many versions of that tranny used in so many applications by several automakers that you really need to narrow the question down to a specific version in a specific application with specific modifications with some idea of horse power and torque and how you are going to use it.

There, does that muddy things enough?

BTW I love the GM f-body V8 WCT5 in my 250 hp/300tq street driven heavily modified 305tpi V8 wide body 240Z.

Now, that didn't help you a bit, did it? Who cares? For $60 buy it!