HybridZ

r200 gear whine

md614

Well i rebuilt my lsd. Its alot quieter,but still whines at 50mph while dipping in and out of the throttle.I now know i need a new ring and pinion. It has a 12mm ring gear.Does anyone have a good R&P for sale 3.5 or 3.7? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

I really doubt the ring and pinion are bad, you probably would have seen something when you had the diff apart if they were. Most whines come from the front ball bearing (pilot bearing) in the diff going bad. There was a thread just recently on this that gave the updated part number. The pilot bearing is available and fairly easy to change. I think you have to pull the carrier and the pinion, then remove the bearing and reassemble.

If you really do need a new ring and pinion, I'd suggest you find a new diff rather than rebuilding the one you have. They're not hard to come by in good condition and you can probably pick one up for $100 or so. Compare that to the hassle of trying to find a new set of ring and pinion gears, then add the hassle and expense of setting them up correctly...