HybridZ

new custom bumper

AK-Z

Nice job, I like the shape.Is it a channel or a tube? What do you plan for a finish?

Thanks. 2" square from Home Depot. I cut slits and bent it, then tack welded it. I trimmed it but the curve is too sharp, so I'm going to cut more slits and bend it more outward.

For finish. I think I'm just going to body fill it and shape its because I'm going to paint it black anyways.

Shipping up here is stupid expensive, so I have to make most of my stuff. But some things I do buy regardless of shipping because of the debate of building difficulty to paying for the work.

Body panels, I try to fab myself, just to try. That and because tabco is always back ordered when I call.

I like the shape too. Making your own stuff is always cooler than buying a pre-made one. A continuous curve would have been easier but not as unique. Post some picts when you get it done.

Thanks, and will do.

Finally got to fit with the buckets, but with the hood on, its kinda hidden away under the hood.. I'm going to try to add some metal and have it sit further forward. I'll try to post a pics of what I'm talking about and what I end up with at the end of today.

Sorry guys.Computer decided to take a crap on me.

Well this is what I was talking about before.

DSC00537.jpg

I'm going to hold off on rebuilding the bumper for now, so I can work on my "special project" on the car.

I dare you to guess what it is :D:P. I'll be that you predict what I have in store :P.

BTW I have a 280z door for sale. includes everything including striker and hinges. high ball price is $300 with glass.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=133110

AK z where do yyou live in alaska? I live in both fairbanks and anchorage and I thought i was all alone, with having a z! i seen a few around here, but nobody execpt for me has made any effort to restore one. BTW I know what you mean on the SHIPPING!

Interesting. For $60 it might be worth trying it. Maybe they would send you some dimensions if you asked real nice!

Looks good. I was actually wondering how a Camaro circle-track bumper could be reworked to fit a Z. It looks similar to your design but a more pronounced shape:

http://www.performancebodies.com/store/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1240&pf%5Fid=PER18B

I am sure the dimensions are quite a bit off, though.

AK z where do yyou live in alaska? I live in both fairbanks and anchorage and I thought i was all alone, with having a z! i seen a few around here, but nobody execpt for me has made any effort to restore one. BTW I know what you mean on the SHIPPING!

Live in anch. I've had the car(s) for like 6 years. Stony is in anch, I believe. Been in portland for school and just got back recently. Going to be heading to Korea in 3 weeks, so thats the reason for the rush on getting as much done as possible.

BTW link doesn't work for me.

you know anyone that has some front fenders for sale in anchorage, or in alaska for that matter?

nope. Theres a guy in my neighborhood that has a pretty complete 280z. He was asking for $2k, but he's been trying to sell it for a while, so I'm pretty sure its negotiable. There's another guy in soldatna thats illusive, has a bunch of Z cars. I was going to buy some fiberglass fenders off of him last summer for like $200, but he never got back to me. I just had to fab my on repair panels because of that and because tabco is always on backorder when I call.

The guy in soldatna? Nope. I know he stores some stuff at the storage place next to the abbot carrs near lake otis. Thats where I found the fenders. I talked to the owners of the storage place and gave them my number to give to the fender guy. but that was a while ago.

Now is this for a first gen, 280zx or 300zx? Theres a (I think) repo guy near the same area, behind the cheveron/mcdonalds, that I bought one of my parts car from. They have a 280zx last I recall.