HybridZ

1973 240Z Engine "Refresh"

jacob80

Hey guys, my dad and I are starting to work on our 240Z. We've ordered new tires/rims, new E88 head, distributor, MSD 6-series ignition, radiator, electric fans, "stage 3" cam, 6-1 header, MSD performance exhaust, and a lot more. We plan on replacing the head and leaving the block and transmission alone. We're in the process of removing our head. I'd just like to know if you guys have any advice about this whole process, from your past experiences. Thanks!

Ok,how many miles are on the engine?if there are alot of miles you run the risk of blow-by.fresh valve job on a high time engine is risky and can prove to be a waste of time.Unless you are going for a concours car why not put an L-28 in there.Everything else swappes over and unless you look real hard you can hardly tell the differance.

Personally I run an L-28 bottom,E-31 head with 280Z valves,cam is one that works well with SU carbs dont know about stage this or stage that,I just know it runs like a scalded cat.During the build up I used diesel maxima main cap bolts,280ZX turbo head bolts(advantage higher torque spec)ZX turbo oil pump,Mallory distributor with pertronix ignitor,lightend 280Z flywheel,"B" 4-speed,,dont ask why I dont run a 5-speed,rear end has 3:70 gears.

Other parts include ceramic coated header 2.5" exhaust straight back to dynomax super turbo muffler,3row radiator with electric fan(advantage water pump lasts 3 days past forever). Other things I have done,when prepping the block I blocked off the oil filter pressure relief valve and installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge(advantage all oil must pass though the filter,mechanical pressure gauge gives instant pressure readings)

I hope this gives you a good picture,best of luck to you on your build up.

jacob80, my recommendatino would be to hit up www.classiczcars.com for advice about refreshing the L24. Hybridz is dedicated to the modification of the Z and does not really address basic mechanical questions.

Classiczcars.com is a great resource as well and it is my opinion that they are more knowledgeable about the 240z and L24 as a whole than here.

Motor has ~160k miles on it, just ordered an E31 head and having it rebuild with 280Z valves, recommended by the head shop. Will the rings hold up? My father said he has not had any problems ring/block wise

Motor has ~160k miles on it, just ordered an E31 head and having it rebuild with 280Z valves, recommended by the head shop. Will the rings hold up? My father said he has not had any problems ring/block wise

Take in mind if something does go wrong, ala blowby, ring failure etc you will end up paying more than if you where to just do it all at once.

I would personally do a compression test before I decided to rebuild anything

The electric fan is not needed really, alot of high power L series motors still use the stock clutch fan as a matter of fact.