HybridZ

Ticking/HP loss/Stumbled acceleration

skewie09

When I start my Z if I tap on the gas pedal it putts and wants to die, about 2 min. of driving its fine, but I have a ticking noise and I notice a loss of HP, after driving for about 30 min. the ticking goes away.

Oh yeah, also when I park the car it smells kinda like a rotten egg almost like somethings burning(as if metal).

Running too rich?

Burned cat?

heard the cats smell like that when there toast the battary can smell like that if its over charged by the alt learned that frieing a battery on a tarus ( i miss that car sometimes).

the ticking is it low or high(coming from crank or head area)?

Sounds like you have an exhaust manifold leak. This would explain everything...ticking only for a while because once the manifold and head heat up they expaned and seal it self up...the smell is probably from the leak...and the loss of power could be do to your o2 not reading correctly due to an exhaust leak.

I would check your exhaust/intake manifodl gasket for leaks(same gasket) and it thats it.........have fun! LOL

Guy

Well inspect the bolts, might need a mirror to see them all. Also look for any black areas, as the exhaust leak will leave surrounding areas black.

It's not too uncommon for the furthest front and back exhaust bolts to break, I've now owned 2 L motors like this.

It shuoldn't be "too" hard to just pull the intake manifold and give the exhaust manifold a good inspection. I can easily remove an intake in about 30 minutes providing all the tools for it are out and ready.