HybridZ

Bosch High output alternators

These bosch alternators are expensive... The most powerful line puts out 235 amps at $500.00. But i dont know if 235 amps is really necessary for a z. I am planning on running a sound system in the future but i dont know if it will need that much punch. I was thinking about using bose speakers w/ 2 jl audio 10w7. Also I was planning on adding alot of electronics to my z... power locks... trunk release... power windows... keyless entry... electric fan... in dash flip dvd screen/player. I think with all these electronics im def. gonna need a good sized alternator.

Heres a link to the highest output bosch alternator: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BCH%2DAL7537HO&N=700+1007+4294771269+115&autoview=sku

Z Man of Washington (Oliver Naugle) sells 105 and 120 amp alternators which fit the Z car mounting bracket perfectly. He provides instructions for re-wiring, because the alts he sells have an internal regulator, instead of the big, external reg. found on the pre-78 Zs. I had one on my 280ZX, and it provided plenty of juice for the lights, wipers, blower motor, A/C clutch, radio, brake lights, all at the same time.

You can go to zspecialties.com

Jeff

step one, go to http://www.rockautoparts.com or http://www.thepartsbin.com and do some research. Look up nissans and suabarus of recent enough model years to be nice, but still available in JYs. I found that late 80s maximas came with 90 amp alternators, and once I swapped the pulley it was essentially a straight bolt in.

(to tell the WHOLE story, I realized that the 60 amp internally regulated alt on my old subaru was the EXACT SAME CASING as the stock alt from my 75 280Z, and wound up installing a 90 amp maxima alt in the soobie.. i've bolted it into the Z-car but never installed a belt or run the engine with it. To ACTUALLY install it into a running Z MAY take minor minor bracket modification, but nothing serious.)

Anyhow, back to my point: find a modern Inifinit, or Pathfinder, with a 110 amp alt in it. Pull it. $40 from a greedy junkyard. When it goes bad, rebuild it; chances are your rebuild will be at LEAST as high-quality as the "sweat shop" rebuilt alts that sell for upwards of $100.

I don't know how strong an alternator you can find this way; 90 is ample for me, and its super easy to find an 89 maxima in these parts. Installing an internally regulated alternator in place of your externally regulated alternator is a conversion that has been done MANY times, and written up almost as many.

HTH