HybridZ

strange electrical problem

Midnight-Z. Make sure the fuse box has the same size fuses that your current box has. I got the Civic box because I put an RB20DET in my car. I still have the original fuse box. That is going to stay in the car. I need the box to clean up the rat nest of wires hanging of the battery and I think it also has the relay in the box for my starter. If so, I can get rid of the relay that is mounted next to the fuel filter. It also has a couple of 50 amp and a 60 amp fusable links. Just a heads up.

• 2 months later...

I did the curent drawtest the meter got super hot in a second

like it was going to blow. I got 0.89000 with a new battery in march

I had lots of stuff to do and

But like I said after the strange event the guages start blown fuses

and the spanking new battery won't charge

My stimulius was stolen by the gov. so I had to do forms and stuff it will come in a paper check by early OCT 2008

so I could not get a painless fuse box or find a find a good junkyard donor yet

I put a new alter nos alter from JAPAN for $80 a month ago

but danm thing won't start just makes air suction noises not clicks??

I took off the dash to find problem the heater tubes fell off the only thing left is the speedo cable wich I won't take off

it is suspended on wood blocks

there is plenty of room reach around and bottom its a few little hanesses atached but

I started testing with a probe light with battery in but I can't seem to get a reading I have tried 16 diffrent surfaces to ground

but the thing works on ,my bros car

I also found out that the sun roof is a factory option it is bronze like glass I saw a 77 280Z with the exact roof light wire chop like mine and orignal invoice states it is optional

Mine is from Mexico D.F. and has the identical roof

with papers of diffrent owners from socali to seattle then Idaho where it got a engine transplant the harness was molested by the kid i got it from

the the thing looks like its in the 80,000's

I have only been behind the wheel about 3 hours total my dad was hoging it the first 10 days

the Z has been sitting since April I have started it a copule times and tried to diegnose it a dozen times

While you have the dash loose, check where the main harness goes through the firewall. See if there could be any wires skinned and shorted to the firewall. Also check on the fuse box side where the harness goes through the firewall.

As for the Meter getting hot, Try putting a resistor inline with one of the leads. Sounds like the meter you are using does not have internal impedance to handle the current. Use a 100 ohm resistor. Connect one end of the resistor to the lead and the other end to the battery. That will reduce the current a little bit and keep the meter from getting damage.

I found resistience on a yellow wire on a white harness C-6 from the engine bay 76" 280Z it turns into a 3 way and one is

the Alternator yellow wire !

I think wiper motor and somthing else

also A alarm was on the car at one time splice igintition wires decals and horn does not work

and what should I do about the sun roof dome light ?

I will take pics to show you

the digraphs chopped I will print out all 4 pages and tape them and use sharpies

The diagraph looks like a crazy twisted Super mario pipe world with 1,000 warps

Here is a link factory installed Roofs exsist

clik the pictures

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-Series-Coupe-1978-DATSUN-280Z-TTOPS-MAG-WHEELS_W0QQitemZ170252536783QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170252536783&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I've had too much fun with my molested Datsun

I'm starting to eyeball Rb25det FR GT-S swaps complete with unmolested wiring with fuse boxs ,ECU and Transmissions for $2000.00 shipped

Does this get 2 more MPG than a L28e fuel injected or somthing

• 2 weeks later...
punctuation, grammar, and spelling... not trying to be rude man but...damn! im having some electrical problems as well on my 78...let the fun begin!

jeremy

The reading.... it hurts... the eyes... :ugg:

Anyway, Midnight-Z, I can see why your car is being so frustrating. I'm going through some of the same electrical problems myself on my 280 (which happens to have those same crap, half-assed "sunroofs" as yours. And yours WILL leak, eventually). My advice: get your hands on the FSM for your car. You can either buy it, or get it for free by downloading it (hint: someone on this website knows where!). After that, unless you have a laptop computer or like running from your house to the car every few minutes, PRINT out the sections you need. I printed the whole damn thing, and its a lot of pages.

I don't know if it works as well for you, but I enjoy reading schematics and theory on paper rather than scrolling up and down on adobe acrobat. That and it makes the whole thing very portable. After looking at the wiring diagrams for 25 minutes, I knew where all my grounds were, and I could easily trace each connection. And I'm NOT an electrician, not even close. The wiring diagrams are abstract, but they will point you in the right direction.... Most of the time. Going on one of the Z websites might give you some info, but ultimately the manual should be your first source.

All I can say is keep at it, as with anything else, there is no instant success. ESPECIALLY working on a 30+ year old car. I'd even recommend ripping out your entire dash as it will help you trace each wire immensely. I did. Hopefully my speedo cable won't suck to put back on. But maybe I'm just going over the top as usual...

Good luck

The reading.... it hurts... the eyes... :ugg:

Anyway, Midnight-Z, I can see why your car is being so frustrating. I'm going through some of the same electrical problems myself on my 280 (which happens to have those same crap, half-assed "sunroofs" as yours. And yours WILL leak, eventually). My advice: get your hands on the FSM for your car. You can either buy it, or get it for free by downloading it (hint: someone on this website knows where!). After that, unless you have a laptop computer or like running from your house to the car every few minutes, PRINT out the sections you need. I printed the whole damn thing, and its a lot of pages.

I don't know if it works as well for you, but I enjoy reading schematics and theory on paper rather than scrolling up and down on adobe acrobat. That and it makes the whole thing very portable. After looking at the wiring diagrams for 25 minutes, I knew where all my grounds were, and I could easily trace each connection. And I'm NOT an electrician, not even close. The wiring diagrams are abstract, but they will point you in the right direction.... Most of the time. Going on one of the Z websites might give you some info, but ultimately the manual should be your first source.

All I can say is keep at it, as with anything else, there is no instant success. ESPECIALLY working on a 30+ year old car. I'd even recommend ripping out your entire dash as it will help you trace each wire immensely. I did. Hopefully my speedo cable won't suck to put back on. But maybe I'm just going over the top as usual...

Good luck

i just dont capitalize while on the internet or texting, and i use a lot of.......lol. helps seperate thoughts and anything else not deemed a sentence. but back to the topic at hand, ive worked most of my electrical gremlins out, i just need a cleaner, more intact harness! if anyone has a 78 FI wiring harness they dont want/need thats in fairly good condition hit me up, cuz i need one pretty bad! my 78 has sat for the past 17+ years. thats what the registration and inspection say on her anyways. 1991. i didnt even know what a z was in 1991, besides a letter! but midnight, any updates on your progress? i wouldnt try the rb swap till youre more familiar with the car. and i mean REALLY familiar. imo, i think someone needs to understand their own car fully inside and out, bottom to top, front to back, side to side, and any other way you can think of...before doing something as drastic as a completely different motor install. also, i would recommend fixing most things before going that route. would be kinda crappy to get that motor in and driving it around, with all sorts of things going wrong, squeaking, clunking etc...but thats just me.

jeremy