HybridZ

New Welder

WooHoo! Just ordered my new welder. Been using a Panasonic WP300 for the last 10 years. It was starting to sugre and having difficulty holding an arc under 10 amps, so I decided to upgrade to the Panasonic BP2. Fully digital. Twin inverter. 50-400Hz for AC welding. 50 Channel weld setting memory. And it looks cool!

http://industrial.panasonic.com/ww/i_e/29865/fa-awm_e/fa-awm_e/tig_e.html#bp2

Had to tell someone... That is all.

Since Ive never used a welder over seas, and I know american appliances generally won,t work on non-usa power connections,(I don,t know how japans power is, but I know some european stuff a total non-useable deal in the USA) Ive got to ask, just curious.....can you USE a welder designed for plugging into over seas power inputs once you move here and the power is differant?

Since Ive never used a welder over seas, and I know american appliances generally won,t work on non-usa power connections,(I don,t know how japans power is, but I know some european stuff a total non-useable deal in the USA) Ive got to ask, just curious.....can you USE a welder designed for plugging into over seas power inputs once you move here and the power is differant?

I'm not sure what the frequency in Japan is, a lot of European countries use 50Hz instead of 60Hz. AC motors don't typicaly like the frequency change, they overheat. I can't say what an AC welder would do, but I wouldn't recomend using a different frequency unless the device was made to do so. It's usualy labled on the device somewhere. If you have a device labled 220V 50/60Hz you would be good here and a lot of Europe.

Most high-end machines like the Panasonic and Miller Dynasty series self adjust power input. 50-60Hz and 200-400V. Panasonic sells this welder in the US and Australia, as well, but mostly it's used in production robotic welding. It was around the same price as a comparable Miller Dyansty series with all the bells and whistles. I'm always having to reconfigure the machine, and the 50 memory settings sold me; you just push one button and turn a dial. That, and the fact that the two Panasonic tig machines I've had in the past went 8 and 10 years each before needing ANY maintenance. 400Hz AC wave is sick for welding thin aluminum.