HybridZ

Help with R200 side seals

junglist

I've ordered seals from 2 places with what I believed to be the correct part #'s found via searching here on HybridZ. Neither seems to be the correct seal. They are not very similar to the seals that I pulled off of the diff that were rotting.

I got the National Seal versions and also the Nissan seals. I have read through the factory service manual for the '82 ZX that the differential came out of and also the R200 manual. I have tried using a big socket to hammer these things in, but I just don't see how it would work. Attached is a few pictures of the seals next to the diff. and also one of the seals on a CV axle which shows it is the right size for that at least. Is there something I am missing? Are these the right seals? Is there a trick to putting them on?

sideseal1_thumb.jpg

sideseal2_thumb.jpg

sideseal3_thumb.jpg

sideseal4_thumb.jpg

sideseal5_thumb.jpg

The diff. is from a ZX turbo, what I had understood was that the P9000 was the old part #. I'm going to have to try sending these back in exchange for the P9000. I have the National Seal versions still which are identical to the Nissan ones I received, so I'll still have those for comparison purposes.

I used the N3100 seal on my R200 without a problem. Remove the old seal from the diff and compare the OD to the new one. It looks pretty good in the pic.

Edit:

Did you remove the metal part of the seal before you tried to install the new one? In the pic the outer metal ring of the old seal is still there.

jt

I used the N3100 seal on my R200 without a problem. Remove the old seal from the diff and compare the OD to the new one. It looks pretty good in the pic.

jt

The old seals were completely rotted and came off in small chunks and I threw them out as they were totally trashed.

Does that silver metal ring need to be removed somehow?

Good catch JT1...I wasn't even looking at that...yes, the old metal ring (seal housing) has to come out before you can put the new seal in. Also, when you install the new parts, they're only supposed to be pushed in FLUSH with the outter surface, not all the way in as far as they'll go.

Use a seal puller or a simple LARGE screwdriver to remove the old parts...they probably won't come out too easily as they're a pretty tight fit.

(I edited/deleted my above entries to keep the thread cleaned up. Sorry for the confusion)

sideseal2s.JPG

The area where I have clumsily drawn the red line is the metal part of the old seal. Remove it with a seal puller, pry bar, or big screwdriver, then install the new seal with a big socket. Like Warren says, it only goes flush with the side of the housing, not in as far as it will go.

jt

Whoa. I'm glad you posted this. The rubber on mine came out alone, I don't see that metal piece. On new ones I bought from O'Riely's don't have any metel in them.

axel-hole.jpg

BTW the National part number on my seal is 223542. The diff is from a 300zxT clutch type LSD, don't know what year.

Thanks again for the help guys. I just went out to the garage and put the new seals in. I had to pry on the old ones pretty hard with a pry bar but they came out with no drama and the new ones went in perfect hammering on them with a 30mm socket.

Deja, I have a set of the 223542 National seals...they are the same outside and inside diameter as the Nissan ones but they arent identical. The national seals don't have the flared out rubber part that would be up against the CV if you compare them to the Nissan ones above.

I think this diff had one of each. I just thought the one with the flare was totally messed up. Looks like I am good to go with the new Nationals.

Thanks again for the help guys. I just went out to the garage and put the new seals in. I had to pry on the old ones pretty hard with a pry bar but they came out with no drama and the new ones went in perfect hammering on them with a 30mm socket.

Deja, I have a set of the 223542 National seals...they are the same outside and inside diameter as the Nissan ones but they arent identical. The national seals don't have the flared out rubber part that would be up against the CV if you compare them to the Nissan ones above.