HybridZ

turbo sourcing applications

Hey guys, i did a search and i couldn't really find anything on what turbos are known to come in what vehicles. I thought it would be a good idea to put up a topic with KNOWN turbo applications that we could use to get parts or get a good turbo from.

After a bunch of searching the net i did find in one place that the MHI td08 turbo i needed comes in the mitsubishi fuso with the higher hp engine in it.

I do know that the MHI td04 comes in the 80's turbo sunbirds too.

If you guys have any info it might help some ppl out, if we get a few maybe we can sticky it?

i think what your trying to do is awesome if more people know about what there is available it would be great. i do know that the turbos on the STI can hit 21 PSI and hold around 500HP. i know that the subaru legacy gt limited can do 17 and hit 450HP. i believe that the evo is somewhere similar but im not sure exactly. Each turbo on the 3000GT VR-4 can hit 7 psi and they spool very fast on 3 cylinders not sure on the power potential for those either.

In Hot Rod magazine they did an article on a guy who found tractor turbos and installed them on his mustang and he runs tens consistently.

lots of people have been able to put random turbos on cars and they work well, you just have to know what your doing when it comes to your timing, fuel, temperature and things like that.

all psi are not created equal, just becasue a turbo can make 20 psi does not mena that it's an improvement over stock, the stock T3 flows I believe somehwere around 35 lbs/min, my T3O4E flows 53 lbs/min, you can set the both for 18 psi but the larger turbo still flows a LOT more air and therefore makes a LOT more power

and I could be way off here but I believe the TDO4H flows around 40 lbs/min

Same here. :)

Now its finding out which of these will fit on the stock manifold.

Stock L-series manifold?

Any that use a "square" (i.e. not the Chrysler pattern) T3 turbine inlet.

Some may require a spacer, like the turbo I will be using that is sourced from a GM 6.5 diesel. I might be able to get away with not spacer, by clearancing the exhaust manifold a bit more and possibly the compressor housing. I'll get some pictures of it soon, and the final decision.

Are all "square" t3 turbine inlets the same as the L series'?

Yes.

the only slight differences between them, is if the bolt pattern is threaded for studs/bolts or just holes for the bolts/studs to pass through. The turbo I will be using, as an example, had 4 studs threaded into the turbine inlet, I removed these and drilled those holes out to pass over the studs in the L-series intake manifold.

The Chryco turbine inlet is very close to the standard T3 inlet, but one bolt hole is spaced differently, it's spread out wider than the standard T3 inlet.

Here is a standard T3 turbine inlet:

t_18397.jpg

Here is a Chryco turbine inlet, the angle is terrible, but you can see the bolt hole closest to the foreground is spaced a bit differently in comparison to the standard flange:

tk100.jpg

The bolt hole on the far left also looks to be spaced differently, but I don't recall that as the case.