HybridZ

Hey Aux, now I'M stick'n it to the man!

Z-TARD

What optics are you using? Is that an AO knob on top of the eye piece?

The scope is a $145.00 4-14x56 Leapers with illuminated mil dot. The knob on the eye piece end is the control and battery compartment for the LED that provides reticle illumination. Leapers is typically known for their junky low end scopes, but their "High End" stuff is actually not too bad. This one has a one piece 30mm tube machined out of aluminum, etched glass mil dot reticle, locking target turrets, and side parallax adjustment that seems to work really well. The glass isn't as sharp as more expensive scopes like U.S. Optics or Nightforce, but is clearer than most scopes I've seen in the $400.00-$600.00 range. I would have opted for something more expensive and American made, but with the new kid I'm kind of on a tight budget, and I've had good luck with Leapers stuff in the past.

I really don't know much at all about guns, but it looks like you could go hunting for Sherman tanks with that cannon! Very nice.

Thanks:) The 308 round that it is chambered for would likely only scratch the paint on a tank, but it does work pretty well on anything soft and squishy out to about 800 yards or more. My goal with this gun is to have a solid 800 yard capable semi auto for shooting steel plates. It's just really satisfying to hear that "Bink!" of a bullet striking steel at that distance. Water jugs are fun too :) Later on I plan on trying various bullet weights out to see if I can get it to shoot accurately out to 1000 yards. The 26" barrel should help get enough velocity, maybe.....

haha, nice bullet button :)

Gotta love the laws out here in CA. I thought about using the MonsterMan Grip which would allow me to keep the mag detachable, but I just can't get over how those things look.....

MMG2.jpg

I opted to use the Prince 50 Mag Lock. Just a few turns of a grub screw and I can turn it back to detachable for when I travel out to Arizona. For out here, I guess I'll try loading it through the ejection port. If that doesn't work, I can just pull the rear pin and break the action open to load the fixed mag from the top. Yay! Break action AR-10 :rolleyesg

It's just really satisfying to hear that "Bink!" of a bullet striking steel at that distance. Water jugs are fun too :)

Damn, I been wanting a 30 cal AR. You are not helping! Sounds like you like "grown up" plinking, I do as well. Steel plates at 100+ yards with my 44 sixgun. Not that I connect a lot, but it is fun. I have a .308 bolt gun, but an AR has gotta be more fun! Also have stashed about 500 rounds of national match ammo!

Gotta love the laws out here in CA. I thought about using the MonsterMan Grip which would allow me to keep the mag detachable, but I just can't get over how those things look.....

I opted to use the Prince 50 Mag Lock. Just a few turns of a grub screw and I can turn it back to detachable for when I travel out to Arizona. For out here, I guess I'll try loading it through the ejection port. If that doesn't work, I can just pull the rear pin and break the action open to load the fixed mag from the top. Yay! Break action AR-10 :rolleyesg

or feel, for that matter, I can't imagine monsterman grips being comfortable. My friend is doing the same 922r game with his saiga: using dragunov type stock, converting to bullet button and using US made magazines instead of stock russian ones.

NICE! What exactly is it? Looks mean as hell!

Guy

Thanks :) Basically, it's an AR-10. Due to the complex nature of firearms laws here in CA though, it's not an AR-10, technically speaking. The Armalite AR-10 is specified by name on the laundry list of banned assault rifles here, so they can no longer be purchased or imported into the state. However, if a new manufacturer decides to make a firearm identical to the Armalite AR-10, but does not call it an AR-10, it can be imported into, and sold within the state. Several manufacturers have supposedly even set up subsidiary companies to produce their receivers under a different name specifically for sale in CA. Confusing, yes?

Like nearly everything else I own, I built this up from parts purchased over the span of several years. The lower receiver on mine is for all intents and purposes identical to the Armalite receiver. Mine however, is made by a company called Noveske in Grants Pass, OR and is labeled as an N-6. So whatever it is, it's not an AR-10..... Or is it?

and how much did this "non" AR-10 cost?

Even with a lot of budget minded components, it's still kind of pricey. Projects like this are probably the main reason my Z hasn't had anything done to it in over a year (Although I like to blame that on my wife's extensive "Honey-Do list"). Going from memory:

Blackthorne upper receiver/barrel assembly: $400.00

Armalite Bolt/Bolt carrier assembly: $250.00

Noveske stripped lower receiver: $400.00 (Ouch!)

Magpul PRS adjustable buttstock: $230.00

Falcon Industries Ergo Grip: $42.00

Jard adjustable single stage 3# trigger: $130.00

Armalite lower receiver parts kit: $60.00

Charging handle: $47.00

Recoil spring and buffer: $25.00

Buffer tube: $15.00

Armalite 10 round magazine: $30.00

Leapers 4-16X56mm SWAT scope: $145.00

NC Star 30mm scope rings: $14.00 (X2)

Prince 50 mag lock kit: $25.00

Total: $1827.00

I still have to get some DuraCoat to paint the rifle with, along with a bipod. This will probably push it over the $2000.00 mark. This is the bipod I'm looking at:

340_2_.jpg

may10range1.jpg

May10range2.jpg

AR-10target.jpg

This is actually a 5 shot group. shots 2 and 3 went through the same hole in the lower right portion of the red. Shot #1 is just above those. Shots 4 and 5 are why I normally just stick to 3 shot groups for bragging rights :)

Nice grouping :mrgreen:

Nice gun too...

Davy

Thanks :) Hopefully the groups will get even smaller the more it gets shot. Being a brand new barrel, it will be another 100 rounds or so before it is fully "broken in". With some Federal or Black Hills match grade ammo, this should eventually be able to solidly shoot 3/4" groups, possibly even 1/2" if I cut down on my coffee intake :)

The group pictured above was with Black Hills 168gr. HPBT moly coated bullets. I initially tried to sight in with some Indian 147gr. FMJ surplus ammo. Bad idea. This gun hates that ammo. Between the lighter bullet weight, and the questionable quality of the rounds, I was only able to group at around 4" to 5" at 100 yards with that stuff. I was sure my rifle was utter crap until I loaded up the heavier Black Hills stuff.