HybridZ

left axle keeps slipping out???

stony

The snap ring is inside the carrier, not on the axle stub. The issue of axles being on the wrong side should be very obvious when comparing left and right with both axles inserted into the diff. both should stick out the same amount.

Terry

well the ring is there just and intact but seems like its not strong enough to hold in teh shaft... anyone had this problem before? can it be changed without taking teh diff apart? thanks

Before you do anything, make sure the groove at the end of the stub is clean and has no old gunk clogging the groove up. It may be that somehow this groove got filled up with gunk and the clip can't get a good grip into that groove (just a last ditch attempt to keep from doing more work)

Terry

That and make sure you have the correct stub of course.

I guess if the entire ring is in there, it'd have to be pretty deformed to not hold the axle in if the groove is in the correct place and clean. I'd think it would break before deforming permanently that much.

BTW, Nissan has these rings if you need them.

ok heres my next question ...

are all r-200s internally teh same? and if teh stub shafts came out of an r-200 the should also be the same correct? my r-200 came out of a skyline in japan. the axles came out of a 78 280 z (you know the r-200 conversion car ;>) hope i get this fixed the race season is short here in alaska and its getting ready to start ;>

There's definitely a difference in the clutch LSD (and open R200) and the Viscous LSD diffs. But Greg Kring and James Thagard (240Z Turbo) have shown me pics that show that the snap ring location difference between the clutch and viscous diffs aren't the only difference - the length was different as well, including the spline length. There may be other differences I can't recall.

Can you measure the depth of the ring relative to the side of the diff housing, and compare it to the same distance on the stub?

Nope. The clutch and viscous LSDs (R200s seen in the US anyway) are different in the area of the stubs that go into the diff. Different location of the snap ring and other dimensions between the two diffs.

What did your LSD come out of? Is it viscous?

ok im talking clutch type lsd :> mine is a clutch type out of an older skyline 9early 80s). the axles came out of a 280z with a clutch type lsd. all clutch type lsds should have all teh same dimensions correct? you wouldnt have and measurements on teh different stub shafts would ya?im kinda curiuos to see what i have.... a friend sent me the axles and told me they were out of a 280 s with clutch lsd id like to make sure

I'd hope all the clutch LSD R200s were the same there. Unfortunately, I don't have any measurements.

Clutch LSD R200s stubs in the 300ZX (87.5-88) can use the same stubs as the open R200s from the 280Z.

I found out my left axle on teh diff side keeps slipping out of teh diff. Not all teh way just enough to make it leak. If the axles were installed backwards ie left on right rihgt on left would that cause this or do i have a different problem? it seems like it is not locking into the diff i can slam it in and then just pull it back out with little effort. any help icon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

Stoney,

Sounds like you lost a snap ring. Out put shaft on diff should have a snap ring groove machined into it. Either the snap ring is broken or lost. If you have the diff out of the car, pull the cover and see if you can find it or pieces of it. Should be able to replace the snap ring if this is the problem. Good luck Mark

OK so whats th combo i thought it was clutch r-200 LSD out of teh 300z and the stubs and axles from the 78 280 z that had the r-200 open diff? I think my problem is that teh left stub shaft isnt matching up with teh snap ring. any halp here ;> icon_sad.gif

The only help I can give at this point is to pull the other side out, and compare the two stubs side by side. One will be about 5/8" (it's been a long time since I've looked at them both together)longer than the other one (passenger side longer). The clip groove to end distance (1/4-3/8"??)I believe is the same for both though. You may be able to view the clip from the hole, and perhaps stick a rod of some sort into the hole along the splines and measure just how far back from the outside edge the clip is, Then compare this length to where the clip actually is in relation to the stub you are trying to keep in the diff. If all this checks out, I'd say the clip may be bad. One light side to this is the CV jointed axles so many now use are spring loaded so that the stub has a constant pressure pushing it into the axle, sooooo....