HybridZ

Won't go into gear

Cutlass372

Hey everyone, I recently replaced the tranny in my 240z and I cant seem to get it into gear. The tranny shifts fine with the car off, but once I turn it on I can't enter any gear and reverse grinds. I replaced the Slave cylinder, but I wasn't quite sure exactly where it needs to be adjusted (gravity bled it cause I didnt have another person). The car doesn't seem to have much if any pedal pressure, and looking at the clutch master cylinder from in the car there seems to be a little bit of fluid coming from the stopper. I recently filled the front resevoir of the brake master cylinder and now its competely empty. Would this cause a lack in pedal pressure? What are your thoughts? I am thinking about replacing the Clutch Master and the Master cylinder, but what do you think? Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks, Elliot.

Sounds like that might be an issue. A friend of mines mustang was having some clutch disengaging issues and it would shift terribly. Really hard to get in gear and shift quickly. We adjusted some of the linkage and get it to fully disengage. In your case sounds more like it might be something else dealing with the clutch but Id definetly check all the linkage for any rubbing, etc.

The 240z trans doesnt have linkage, it uses a gear box and the shifter connects right into it. I know if I put the car in gear and start it its going to pull me forward. The car will roll around fine with the car in neutral as I have pushed it in and out of the garage. I just wanna drive my car again and I cant seem to figure out what the problem is. I think I might just replace the clutch master cylinder and go from there.

I had a similar issue yesterday. Very hard to shift between gears while running and reverse was impossible and it seemed to progressively get worse. I checked the service manual and the first thing it says is to adjust your clutch linkage under the dash. I checked the pedal height and I was an inch off of the recommended 8.75 inches from the firewall. Some how I managed to get my big head down on the floor with my feet on the ceiling of the car and adjusted the push rod that connects to the clutch pedal. It shifts like a new car now. No resistance or grinding at all. My guess is the lock nut was extremely loose and was letting the push rod back off the pedal.

^^ Thats exactly what it was. I put the bar to the end of its range and loosened the stopper for more distance. The clutch engages pretty high thought, so maybe i can experiment some more to find the sweet spot. I really gotta get her tuned, the car seems to sputter or hesitate, its strange.