HybridZ

Borg Warner Super T10 4 Speed

Does anyone out there have any experience with the B/W Super T10 4 Speed?The mechanic where I take my car has a daily driver 240Z running approx. 400hp with this trans. Has been driving it for years. But I want to get some other opinions. Does anyone else use this unit in their Z? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks, Steve

Does anyone out there have any experience with the B/W Super T10 4 Speed?The mechanic where I take my car has a daily driver 240Z running approx. 400hp with this trans. Has been driving it for years. But I want to get some other opinions. Does anyone else use this unit in their Z? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks, Steve

Steve, I run one in my malibu. My unit is rebuilt, and i have exactly 325 RWHP, and with slicks i dump the clutch at 3300 RPM, and the trans takes every bit of it. I have an additional super t-10 that i am going to use with my small block in my datsun. They will take just about anything you throw at them.

They are just as strong as the muncies you always hear about.

Zcarlover,

You probably know this already but the BW Super T-10 went through a bunch of changes through the years.

The experts say the best of the BW 4 speeds were from the late 70's; AKA: BW Super T-10 second design.

These had a fine spline input shaft with an output shaft that used the yoke same as the Turbo 400 trans (same as the Muncie M22).

These super T-10s were fairly strong and still very easy to powershift with a moderate HP SBC like you describe.

There is a ton of information about this transmission on the net, and a bunch of guys that deal in parts or complete units.

Search your local scrap yard for any 1976-1978 Camaro Z-28 4 speed manual , as they most likely would have come with this transmission.

There are also a wide choice of gear ratios, as HarrisonTX notes he has a 3.42 first gear.

If you are planning to install any Chevrolet 4 speed trans into your hybridz S30, you will need to modify the shifter bracket and extend the shifter linkage and stick if you want it to be in the stock location.

Good Luck.

The Super T10 is stronger than all of the Muncies except the M22 which has the reduced helical gear pitch. Other than that they have the 21 spline input and 40 spline output. (Which the M22 had as well, but most other Muncies had the 10/32)There are a couple of different first gears, but the most common is the 2.62. I have one in my '69 Camaro that was originally in a 79 Trans Am. My car with me in it weighs aroung 3500#'s and MPH's at 110 which should be about 365 RWHP. The only drawback to this trans really is the lack of an overdrive in a street car. Other than that, the are light and durable.