HybridZ

434 660HP V8 Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I hear this pop up all the time, and not to start a range war, but just because 'stock internals' can withstand 800 hp doesn't mean it will do it for long. Granted the bottom ends are strong, and obviously overbuilt, but I doubt they'll do it for any length of time. This is ok for a race engine, after all a few thousand miles tops and its replaced, but a street engine? I guess its ok as long as you understand that and when it does blow, its gonna do it in a spectacular fashion. Cha ching $$. Oh well, just my own humble opinion.

Lone

Guest MegaShaft_2000

quote:

Originally posted by lonehdrider:

I hear this pop up all the time, and not to start a range war, but just because 'stock internals' can withstand 800 hp doesn't mean it will do it for long. Granted the bottom ends are strong, and obviously overbuilt, but I doubt they'll do it for any length of time. This is ok for a race engine, after all a few thousand miles tops and its replaced, but a street engine? I guess its ok as long as you understand that and when it does blow, its gonna do it in a spectacular fashion. Cha ching $$. Oh well, just my own humble opinion.

Lone

No, I know of lots of people who have their *daily driver* in this HP range.

Also, if a connecting rod can take the stress of putting out 800 hp once, why won't it be able to do it all the time? Certain parts in the engine wear, and certain parts just handle stress. The pistons, crank, and connecting rods generally handle stress, and the rings and bearings do the wearing.

As long as you don't exceed the fatigue limit of a load bearing part, if it can handle it once, it can handle it forever. It's the friction bearing parts that wear out.

800 hp is a safe amount that that engine can take. There are a couple people out there pushing over 1,000 hp on 100% stock internals. One guy has nearly 1,200 hp.

[ May 09, 2001: Message edited by: MegaShaft_2000 ]

Guest needwaymorespeed

whats a good website for these supras

im intrigued to say the least 88 hp on a stock bottom end thats better than the gns

Curtis

Mega,

The problem is this: Metal does strange things when run through heat cycles. I stretched some bolts on an L series High compression motor, not knowing they had been over torqued... Then I broke a brand new ARP Rod Bolt on another brand new motor running it hard at the track... Metal stretches over time and gets fatigued and then breaks, and sometimes it just lets go for reasons we don't know...maybe flaws in machining, over torquing with a wrench that needs to be recalibrated... Trust us when we say "It won't last many runs" because those types of failures are VERY real. Just ask some of the Mitsu and Hondu guys breaking the bottoms of their little sprayed 4 bangers... People tell you all the time "This part is much stronger than it is rated at" but what they don't tell you is the fact that the extra strength built into a part isn't intended to be infringed upon daily...

As for passes on a 383 stroker, Traction is key. The posted link Scottie Refers to is a good indicator of what your 383 should run. Mine ran low 11's/ high 10s the ONLY time I took it to the 1/4 mile. You should easily run much quicker, unless you have crappy tires... My gearing is 3:7 and I was running (I think) a 26 inch tall tire, BFG Drag Radial. The car ISN'T setup for drag, but I did have a 6 point cage and sub-frames in it at the time, and I run an LSD.

Mike icon_razz.gif

Guest MegaShaft_2000

quote:

Originally posted by Mikelly:

Trust us when we say "It won't last many runs" because those types of failures are VERY real

I'm not saying that you are totally wrong, but I also trust the Supra owners who have 800 hp on stock internals and tell me their engine is handling it fine as a daily driver.

They have first hand experience, and with their experience they say the engine handles 800 hp on stock internals fine.

Some people on Twinturbo.net have their Z32's putting out 600+ HP on stock internals. They drive the car every day, run it at the track, and haven't had any problems with the engine breaking pistons or throwing rods.

I believe that you know what you're talking about when it comes to engines you've worked on, but who am I supposed to believe- someone who doesn't have first hand experience with that engine and says it won't work, or someone who has first hand experience with that engine, has actually done it before, and says it works fine..?

[ May 10, 2001: Message edited by: MegaShaft_2000 ]

Guest Anonymous

I started to say it but I just can't. I'm new here and it doesn't seem appropriate, oh and there's that thing when I registered about respecting opinions, but I'm psychic so is anyone thinking the same thing as me right now? HEheHEhe. see, I did it! icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey "newbies" icon_biggrin.gif (j/k). There is nothing that says you cannot express your opinion or even present a counter argument to someone else's opinion. What makes this board so successful and fun to be a part of is exactly that. I know I have changed my opinion on things because someone else presented an argument that proved me wrong or better yet, educated me.

Welcome aboard and we look forward to hearing from you.

Guest Anonymous

As Scottie mentioned opinions are encouraged around here. I've said many a thing and have been corrected and accepted the fact that I was less than right (or just flat ass wrong) about the topic.

I don't expect anyone to trust anything I or others say as gospel without getting a host of opinions and sifting the BS from the facts.

That said, and I will not argue with the people who have 'hands on' experience with a certain powerplant, but the mechanical facts are, anything pushed to double or triple its original output will eventually fail, thats not a theory but a fact of metalurgy.

Am I doubting these people are obtaining those horsepower ratings and its so far surviving fine? No. But if you ask me to belive it will run the same miles the manufacturer intended at that power level then I'd have to disagree. Hot rodding = eventually breaking parts and thats a fact, check any pits at a large drag racing event after the event(IMHO) or to change a phrase, Run on Sunday, Buy Parts on Monday.

Respectfully,

Lone

And to further build on what lone said, I'm not doubting that these guys are driving these cars with that kind of "Potential" HP. But driving around with it cranking out 8PSI of boost as a commutor and driving around with 20psi boost are two totally different things all together. That explains the survivability of some of these motors. These guys with the TT cars don't squeeze the boost up until its time to prove their point. But if they were running all the time at 20psi, those motors wouldn't survive 5000 miles on the street on stock internals... Thats my opinion anyway.

Mike icon_rolleyes.gif

Mike's right - most of these guys run boost controllers with multiple settings. There's no use in running it set for "stun" on the highway going to work and in the daily commute that's asking for it! When the time comes though a push of the button pops the boost to the moon icon_smile.gif

As for how it's done... Toyota overbuilt that motor. Just like Nissan does the Skyline's drivetrain. Honda does the same for some of it's motors too but not to the same extreme. 600hp is supposed to be pretty easy on a BPU Supra, getting 800 however takes a bit more work but it can be done without major mods. Will it run forever? Nah, but it'll do fine so long as you keep your nasty tennis shoe out of th efirewall and don't get stupid with the boost. I'm personally waitig for prices on these puppies to fall so I can get my hands on one, till then I'll live with the RX7 icon_smile.gif