HybridZ

240Z RPM Limit

One other thing that is bad about valve float is that part of the cooling of the valve is accomplished by having it bang into the seat as it closes. Without that happening, then the valve gets red hot and is much more susceptible to breaking. It happened on a friend's volvo that had misadjusted valves and he over-revved it and broke the valve and spring. Woops. :)

greg

GOOD point. Thanks.

Coming from an autocrosser's point of view, I can certainly say that having an electronic rev-limiter is a godsend. I have revved my MR2's engine over redline more times than I'd like to admit due to nigligence and it's not something I want to do. In a situation where you peg second gear once or twice, it's nice to have something keeping you from blowing things up, just in case your mind happens to slip. Watching that tach and maneuvering through slaloms isn't exactly easy, but then again, it wouldn't be racing if it were easy.... :)

Was what I said totally conflicting or is it just me? lol

Yeah, mis-shifting and over reving an engine is NOT something that will make you live longer. I'm lucky that I haven't done it no matter how hard I drive, and no matter how fast I try to shift, but I know it's a very possible threat. I really hope it doesn't happen. Luckily one of my first upgrades is an MSD 6AL box.

I've discovered that the consequence of my over-revving misadventure is that I either created a small pinhole in my exhaust manifold gasket or enlarged a tiny one into a pinhole.

Now I have a quite audible "pffft...pffft...pffft" occurring at anything more than partial throttle that is incredibly annoying- especially since I finally got rid of my tappet noises!!! Argh.

I'm gonna velcro the living daylights out of the floor mats when I get around to installing them- after first installing some serious multiple Cascade product barrier materials everywhere.