HybridZ

quick and dirty method for crank pulley removal.

Hammer on end of wrench = impact wrench, in my book.

Negatory. There is too much flex in the wrench. It softens the blow. Just like the special socket (for torqueing lug nuts) you can put on your impact gun to reduce 2XX pounds of torque down to ~85 or whatever that socket is set up for. Same thing goes for extensions; even 1/2" chromed socket extensions (and chromed sockets themselves) will appreciably reduce effective torque unless they are impact parts.

I've had crank pulley bolts that wouldn't come off with a 1/2" impact gun, 3" extension and short socket. I would try and try. Finally, realizing I was getting too much flex, I'd remove the extension (just there for convenience) and without changing air pressure or torque setting it would zip off immediately.

• 3 months later...
OK, so I need to remove the crank pulley but the damn bolt won't come free. I've got a 27mm socket and breaker bar, and we tried lodging something in the timing gear to keep it from moving, but it still won't budge. Any ideas? The engine is stripped down on a stand so I can't try using the starter to crank it or anything like that. WTF do I do? We're trying to tear down this motor quickly, as bad of an idea as that may be...

Try this(this is the old way of doing thing but it work for me everytime my power tool is not engouthe juice). get a craftsman ratched a decent size hammer and a pair of thick glove. put the socket in the pulley bolt with the ratchet, position the ratchet toward one side of the block, hold the ratchet with one hand firmly, and used the hammer to swing at the end of the ratchet. repeat it with more force if needed. be carful that you don't miss the rached or the hammer slide sideway, don't let the ratchet bounce backward. be sure to wear your glove and hold the ratchet correctly. let me know if this work for you.:icon12:

LEVERAGE! *flexes muscles* Get a big 7 foot hollow pipe, put it over the end of the breaker bar and do it! Had to do that with head bolts actually... :/ Then I broke a socket which wasn't Craftsman so I cried until I did get a Craftsman in case it broke again.