HybridZ

Coilover Help

Well, I was taken for a ride in 73 240Z just a few days ago. The guy was running the L28ET with 13PSI. Car was pretty fast....But his suspension was really nice...coilovers with the z31 hub. not to mention 350Z rims...Makes me miss my car......Anyways, I was planning on getting the Modern Motorsport Coilovers for my 75 280Z. My questions is whats the advantages and disadvantages of having 8" springs and 10" springs? I'm not sure what to get. This car will be driven daily with a RB motor in it. I will probably switch out the rims every now and then too (16x8 & 17x7). I will probably take it to the track every now and then but i'm set on spring rates being 225 (F) 250 ®...

BTW- If you are odering parts from nismoparts.com the Rear Sump oil pan needed for a RB swap is on back order for a month...(My Project is now DELAYED!!)

Adding to Jon's post, the spring rate must be factored in as well. A high spring rate, high rate bars, etc will allow the use of a shorter spring, and a lower spring rate will require the use of a longer spring. My experience has been that I get about 4" of compliance in an autocross event, with 275 lb spring rates. My 7" springs work fine for this. But if I went softer on the rate, or softer bars, and other factors, I'd be in trouble.

Another, very subtle aspect of spring length, is that a longer spring (same pitch, more coils) has a thicker wire given the same rate as a shorter spring. Its heavier as a result of the additional length and the thicker wire.

Hmmm...Thanks for the help, looks like i will really consider getting 10" springs instead of the 8. Also, what shocks/struts should i use. I want to use Tokiko Adjustable because they are affordable. Although i hear Koni is better. Will the shocks/struts need to be shortened or anything? Can i use the struts/shocks right out of the box without problems? I hear i need to get the shocks customized because of the sectioned strut tubes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. This forum has been by far the best help with my project. I will post pictures of my progress.