HybridZ

Using two JCI passenger style mounts!

Bear with me on this. I know the JCI mounts take all the hassle out of an LSX install, that's why I purchased the kit. However an Aussie GTO/RHD setup has unique problems, primarily with the exhaust design by having the steering shaft and starter motor on the same side.

I dropped the shell over the engine/transmission today to see how difficult the situation is. One option I have is to relocate the starter motor to the other side, see part number AP130B http://www.rodshop.com.au/catalogues/AdaptorPlates.pdf but the configuration of the JCI/Camaro mount combined with the relocated starter motor then creates exhaust route problems on that side.

It looks quite feasible to construct on the LHD driver's side a new engine mount similar to the LHD passenger side mount by utilising the forward two mounting holes on the crankcase and the three alternator mounting holes. There is enough material on the alternator mount itself to flycut off the thickness of a mounting plate and still mount the alternator (though that's another GTO problem that may require a complete relocation).

If you are still with me I would appreciate some comments.

Engine trial fit 2_thumb.JPG

GTO Alternative mount 1JPG_thumb.jpg

GTO Alternative mount 2_thumb.JPG

Can anyone tell me where the actual rubber mount comes from that is used on the JCI LHD passenger mount? Thanks

Standard small block Chevy I believe. Can you use the LS1 to SBC adapter plates on the left side? These are sold through a bunch of places even E-bay. That's what I did and they basically consist of a flat 4-6 mm plate with the four LS1 mounting holes, then it centers the SBC mount over one of the front holes. They are intended to allow a LS to be mounted into traditional SBC frame mounts.

Cameron

to me the real question here is

can anyone see the reason jci had for using the standard camaro mount and the long metal bracket on body instead of suggested idea using same the right hand side mount on both sides seems to me it would give room for left hand steering cars as well as opening options up for right hand steer

would allow more space for potential long tube headers as even with the jtr headers the left hand side is a tight fit i had to cut base connector off jtr header and welded some 2.5" tube to give me the clearance i was happy with that was after angling rear of left hand engine mount where it mounts to tension rod braket

so the engineers here think this mounting system would be strong enough

or does jci mount give better strength and stop engine torquing

mick