HybridZ

Old cars, Old guns?

kiwi303

From a comment on the Electrolysis thread... just how many here have collectable or milsurp rifles or pistols residing in the rack to complement the old classics in the garage?

I've a couple of old .303's and an old .308 sporter built on a german war standard mauser 98 action.

I have an 1891 Argentine Mauser and had a Mauser Standard Modell, which is basically a 'civilian' K98, I sold it though.

Check out surplusrifle.com if you haven't before. I know one of the moderators for that site, he also runs one of the best used gun stores in Nor Cal.

Couple old Enfields, a Mauser sitting in pieces in a box, and another Mauser now unrecognizable as a Mauser (308 conversion).

Hernia_Gun2.jpg

Yes, this used to be a VZ-24 Mauser......

I'll try to get some pics of the Enfields up tomorrow.

GUN SHOW! Give me... 10 minutes! :)

EDIT: Here is the show part of the Gun Show. Unfortunately the pictures didn't come out that nice. It is a really elegant firearm. I need to rub some linseed oil into it too. It has been sitting for a while, needs love. It is a Argentine Modelo 1891 full length. All numbers match incl. cleaning rod. It has a perfect (at least to me) bore, 48.6in long, 8.8lbs, 7.65x53 cartridge. Used to shoot Hornady 150gr SP which is ~2800fps muzzle, now I reload so I don't know personally. It is pretty darn accurate. The first time ever shooting the rifle at the range about a year ago 100yd, obviously open sights, I grouped about an inch and a half. I thought that was good for a 110 year old rifle. Once I go again with my new glasses I think the results will be much improved. Only bad part is that the crest was ground off (like all Argentine 1891 full length Mausers imported to the USA). Oh well.

I had a banner Mauser, but sold it. Maybe I'll find those photos later. I didn't find the gun elegant.

e-1.jpg

d-1.jpg

c-1.jpg

b-4.jpg

a-3.jpg

Arg3.jpg

Arg22.jpg

Arg1.jpg

Okay, now you all can have your bandwidth back.

Wow! The wood on that stock looks amazing. You can definitely see the difference between "Old World Craftsmanship" on your rifle, and "Wartime Production" of mine. I suppose aesthetics takes a back seat when bombs are being dropped on the production factory :D

Hehhe. Thanks!

I never got to fire my 8mm Stand Modell Mauser. It had Nazi insignias and all that good stuff on it too. In all honesty, I sold it because I couldn't repair the bore to the standard I wanted. That and I bought it for ~$240 and sold it for ~$560, was merely a good deal at the right time.

I want a 6.5 Swedish M96 Mauser, but the ones I want are ~$700 with target diopter sights.

That Argentine was $200 or $250 local and it had a peppered nasty bore. I spent ~11 hours with my friends running bore brushes and such through it and I can honestly say it looks perfect now. I couldn't believe it. Apparently sometimes they come clean, sometimes they don't. Black magic to me.

top to bottom:

16.5" barrel saiga 7.62x39 (cali legal ak47)

1944 mosin nagant 7.62x54r carbine

1954 russian SKS, 7.62x39 matching numbers

1968 marlin model 68 .22

1938 mosin nagant 91/30 7.62x54r, sniper project in modern plastic stock

Nice looking pistol. Is that Tannerite in the background? I gotta get me some of that stuff. The area where you are shooting looks almost identical to the scenery on Luke's planet in the first Star Wars movie..... I half expected to see a flaming Jawa corpse flying out of that explosion :)

Nice looking pistol. Is that Tannerite in the background? I gotta get me some of that stuff. The area where you are shooting looks almost identical to the scenery on Luke's planet in the first Star Wars movie..... I half expected to see a flaming Jawa corpse flying out of that explosion :)

We go shooting near an old ghost town. Theres mining caves and all sorts of creepy stuff out there. We always joke about the hills have eyes people coming out of the caves and snatching us up :icon45: