HybridZ

Fuel level sender.

Does anyone have a picture of the stock 240 (preferably 1973) fuel level sender?

It's sad that I need to write this next part...

I did a couple searches in the main forum and in the photo gallery, came up empty.

The reason I am asking for this is because I will be installing a gauge cluster (well part of it), from a GM product and since I am having trouble getting the gauge to read backwards (I'm close, I just can't get the full range yet), I am wondering how difficult it would be to modify the sender itself to send the value backwards, essentially making it GM range. :)

TIA

Does anyone have a picture of the stock 240 (preferably 1973) fuel level sender?

It's sad that I need to write this next part...

I did a couple searches in the main forum and in the photo gallery, came up empty.

The reason I am asking for this is because I will be installing a gauge cluster (well part of it), from a GM product and since I am having trouble getting the gauge to read backwards (I'm close, I just can't get the full range yet), I am wondering how difficult it would be to modify the sender itself to send the value backwards, essentially making it GM range. :)

TIA

The top one is out of a '71 Z and the bottom is an early 280Z. If the picture is dark, download it into photoshop or other software and lighten it. The detail is there.

280z_240z_fuel_level_sender.JPG

Look at my album, I have a number of photos relating to gas tanks.

g

I have an old sender in the garage I could take pics of if you need more detail... but I did go take a look at it, when I saw you wanted to reverse the out-put. Looks doable, but a little dicey. the float runs a contact across a wound resistor wire, which is wound around a plate. This plate is mounted in place by a hole at each end, through which a nub protrudes. This nub is split into a "V" at its end, which secures it in the hole. Looks to be possible to force the plate off and carefully spin it and remount it. This would put high resistance at the full position,instead of at the low fuel position. The wound wire coming off the plate is very delicate, and would be easily broken when moving the plate.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want some close-ups of the area in question.

tannji