HybridZ

RB problem solver in Toronto Area

zigen9

Hey guys, anyone knows anybody that is reliable and knows a lot about RB motor in Toronto Area? After the swap to my 280....I don't really have a chance to drive it....when the time I drive it...the car back fires a lot...I really need someone that can help me out....

Hey...my build is an R33 Rb25det, stock ecu (but the guy said it looks like there is a chip in there...i'm not too sure about that), intake manifold, FMIC, 3" piping for exhaust....basically most of the stuff in the motor is stock....any more details?

Well if It's a stock motor with all stock parts except a intercooler and the ecu is chipped it may have not been chipped for your engine setup.

Backfires under acceleration or deceleration or both?

Did the motor sit for a long time before getting it going? I i had a similar issue with mine ... i had let it sit over the winter with out starting and fuels system was open. The fuel that was sitting in the top of the injectors evaporated and gummed up the screens causing all kinds of issues.

It backfires under both circumstances (accleration and deceleration). That's what i thought too Stoney, I believe the A/F ratio is really off right now...when I start the engine...sometimes I have to step on the gas in order to get it start...when the engine runs...I need to step on the gas peddle for a bit...until the car warms ...now i'm scare the backfire is goin to break my piston and block...because that seems like the symtom of my friend's STI before...it backfires a lot...and then the piston ruin...and the block broke...

Well you have a couple options.... sounds like the engine needs to be tuned. you can either find someone that can do a ROM tune or just go with a standalone... this way anyone can tune it. I highly recommend getting it tuned on a dyno unless you really know what your doing on the street. Consider it a investment in your motor. You wont regret it. but you will regret not doing it if you blow up the motor

ok lets try some troubleshooting.

1) check your fuel pressure regulator to make sure it's working.

2) make sure all your spark plugs are actually firing (dumping fuel into the exhaust will backfire under any circumstance).

3) check to see that none of your injectors are stuck open.

4) purchase an independant A/F ratio meter, like a Techedge or a PLX. You're going to need one anyway, and you might as well spend the 3 or 400 bucks now and get those to see what your A/F ratio really is.

it's rich. but how rich

If you need an injector test light, you can come to my house and I'll help you test for injector pulse with the noid lights I have. Not sure when a good time is though, cause lately I've been busy spending my time making coin for my projects.

"Careless" thank you for your suggestion. I will have tat try out and see..cuz lately i'm just working on the body for my car...my vacuum hose at the top was wide open before...so i purchased a PCV hose and covered tat up...after that when i start the car...is much more easier...

"Fentin Fury"..I will check my injectors tonite....thanks for your advise btw..

Rb25's arn't pink least the ones I have are purple on top. If you find out you have a bum injector you can always steal some of a sr20det they are the same I think. If you have a friend with a stock ECU around here it might be worth trying that too. As the other guys said depending on the tune of it that might be causing half the problem.

Any how best of luck

oh also have a look at the idle air valve on your intake manifold, the RB's run really screwy if there is a vacuum leak.

good luck

Chris