HybridZ

buying just an s30 shell?

uefa5

Hey guys, this is my first post here, ive been researching for a while and ive decided to do a rb25 swap into an s30. i was looking for the car and came across a 240 that did not have an engine or tranny, no big deal right since ill using a rb25 engine and tranny? looking more into i figured it might not be so good because i was planning on using the wiring guide sticky on this forum but without the original harness how do i do this? are there other problems i need to address?

As of now i havent seen the car and i was about to email the person selling it to see if it still had the harness, what other things(besides rust) should i be concerned about on this engine and transmission-less car???

and is this easier or harder than starting with a car that has an engine and tranny?

Thanks!

Wiring will always be a problem, but its a very minor problem compared to crash damage and rust. Focus on the important thing - the condition of the shell itself. You can pay someone to professionally rewire a car for $1,500. It will cost you at least that much money to pay someone to replace both floor pans if they are rusty. Then add in the cost of rocker panel, battery tray, frame rail, rear striker, and wheel arch rust repair (if needed).

if you post asking about a shell, then you're going in the right direction, as John stated, shell is most important.

and as well, shell can mean bare. no wiring, no panels. maybe no doors or hatch.

BUT STILL, if it's good, I would get it.

i emailed the seller and they said the wiring harness is intact and still with the car so i should be able to use the wiring guide sticky so thats good news...now if only my jetta would sell so i can get going on this project!

Thanks for your help guys

To tell you the truth, from what i have seen of the stock harnesses in these cars most of them need replaced anyways. I would go with a painless harness or something similar... especially if the car is already tore down. It will alleviate problems when it come time to try and start the car. when i tore mine down for the back halve i was really surprised at how many times the harness had been hacked into over the years.

Just as a heads up, rewiring the chassis isn't that big of a deal as long as you are very methodical. If your not, it is a huge pain, my brother and I basically replaced the entire wiring in our Z while doing the swap as there were quite a few bum wires and shorts in the system. So if you want to minimize the stress of trouble shooting the RB once it is in, it is a nice piece of mind to know that the wiring at least is fresh. Just try not to overwhelm yourself and get an UNCUT harness or better still a front clip for your swap.

Hope that helps

Chris