HybridZ

Some more pix of my R230

Owen

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for sharing those. I had no idea the R230 was that much shorter than the R180. Watching with interest!

Regards,

Lone

wow, that looks cool and its not even done yet, very nice, im going with the vette irs myself, when i finally bust the r200. the shop where i work at has a couple vette irs setups, but you know my motto

Leonard

"you can only upgrade it when you disentegrate it"

Super, thank you for documenting the progress!! I too didn't realize the length differences there. Looks like a longer driveshaft will be required icon_sad.gif Shorter is no big deal since an existing one can always be cut but longer means a new shaft - boo! Still, for the added strength this is good information. No worries on the redrilled moustache bar? I din't notice - where did you source the CV shafts? will be checking out the site with GREAT interest! Please keep us up to date, sounds like you're making good progress! Which ratio did you go for? icon_biggrin.gif

FYI - guys at DennyDriveshaft said they can do work on CV shafts. There's some parts of it they can't do like new CVs but they can shorten and lengthen shafts I think. You might want to give them a shout if you need some work done to make them fit... Keep us posted icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I'm debating on whether going with a big place like Denny's Driveshafts, Moser, etc. or just our local Driveshaft Masters...any opinions? I like the local idea cuz I can go there and tell them exactly what I want.

Owen

Guest Thurem

Hmmmm. With CV's this short they would have to go through quite a bit of angular movement even for small amounts of suspension travel. How do the CV's handle that, the large angles that is? Compared to U-joints?

It might be a good idea to engineer the mounts so the flanges on the diff are in line with the wheelflanges, when car is at rideheight. Also loose less hp that way.

Any thoughts, please.

Thure

Guest Anonymous

I don't know how much more, but I do know that CV's will take more angularity without a problem than U-joints. Thats one of they're attractive attributes.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

How are you connecting the outsides up? I mean to the stub axles, aren't the attachments different? Or is there an adapter that will need to be made?

Regards,

Lone

Owen, that would be very reasonable if you can shorten the halfshafts for that much! This would also be a possibility for those that have binding issues with the R200 and 280ZXT CV halfshafts in the 70-78 cars.

Lone, I think those flat plate adapters you see on his site are for the outer ends of the shafts. The inner ends, if from the R230, would bolt right up, but the outer ends would need a 6 to 4 hole adapter plate.

This swap is looking so awesome right now. This looks so doable for reasonable money. The only draw back (possible?) is the availability of R230s with lower than 3.90 ratio gear sets from the auto recyclers.

Can someone refresh my memory as to the available ratios from the factory for the R230s that fit like this one does?

icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Yes, I'm going to get an adapter made like the one Mark sent me a picture of. Just copying his work so all the credit goes to him!

As for the ratios, my searching has found that the Z32s have 3.69 and the Q45s have 3.54 ratios. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Owen

I may just correct myself, this page says it has a 3.69. I think they're talking about the 2001 model though. http://www.metroinfiniti.com/q45.htm

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Owen ]

uhhh, http://www.metroinfiniti.com/q45.htm

says 2.764:1 for the 2002.wow.

3.69 for 1999 http://newdev.hnt.com:6400/Info/Testdrive/Tech-Specs/infiniti-q45-1999.html

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Owen ]

If you got to:

http://www.metroinfiniti.com/q45_2002.htm

And click on "specificiations" you get the 2002 Q45 specs (the link Owen gave for that model pointed to the 2001 specs, I think) and it does have a 2.764 diff! Man, that'd be sweet with a Ford Top Loader or Super T-10! Heck, take the T-56 apart and take 5th and 6th out!

But the 3.69:1 ain't bad either!

Guest Anonymous

Sounds really neat, the LSD would be nice for sure. Pretty cool. Those are really short CV's for sure, cut down they'll be boot to boot just about eh?

Regards,

Lone