HybridZ

Another Wolf has joined the pack - Calgary280zt has joined the fold

ktm

Mark (Calgary280zt) arrived at my house on Friday night around 5 pm. After an enjoyable dinner, we dove headlong into the Wolf install by 7 pm. The install was progressing fairly smoothly until we tried to remove the CAS optical disk from the distributor. Our tools just weren't big enough, leaving us feeling inadequate. However, a quick jaunt over to Home Depot at 8:45 pm and 15 minutes later the disk was out.

We continued working until 1:30 am, by which time the install was 80% complete. Day 2 started around 7 am with a quick research on Hybridz and Zcar.com for the ignitor and fuel pump relay location. That alone took 20 minutes to finally pin down.

By 10:30 am we were ready to verify timing between the disk, engine, and Wolf. With fingers crossed we bumped the motor and......nothing. The coil was sparking, and I was stumped for a minute or two until I realized that I forgot to put the rotor back on the distributor. Two minutes later we confidently bumped the motor and were disappointed yet again.

Right before we started tearing everything apart in the engine, I checked Wolf's settings and realized that I needed to adjust my file a bit more. I had the ignition channel setup correctly, but the pulseskip needed to be set at 0.

As soon as I made that correction, SUCCESS!!! A minute of tweaking the distributor and we had confirmed 0 BDTC.

We were now ready to start the car. After tweaking the fueling a little bit, and remembering to plug the injector power plug back in after a few failed attempts, SHE STARTED!!!!!!!!!! I had to bump up the fuel a bit more as the scaling was not quite correct, but after 2 minutes of adjustment, she purred like a kitten!!!!!!

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE!!!!!!

Oh, I forgot to state that this is Mark's daily driver and we had to get it running before Sunday. We still need to do some tuning after we install an LC-1, but we are on the homestretch!!!!

Hey, I'm a sequential kind of guy, what can I say....

Bo, thanks for your help and your hospitality and your very thorough workmanship...it was a real pleasure working beside you. Well, considering my work consisted of taking out the globe box...LOL

Just got back to Bakersfield from LA. Car ran great. Much crisper throttle response, made boost far less than usual. Still smelling rich, so looking forward to that tune on Thursday.

All in all, a great upgrade. Can't wait to get back to Calgary with my Rebello head, Iskey cam, T3/T4 turbo, 440 cc injectors and get those installed in June. Sending an intake mani out to Lonewolf for porting next week. Next time I'm down to Cali in July should be a MUCH quicker car...assuming we don't blow something up first!! LOL

Oh yes I will....LOL

I'll see about taking some pics Thursday night when I go to Bo's to install the LMA-3 and do a better tune....though now that I think about it, Bo's already posted an install guide, not much I can add. Oh well, pics for my library I guess....