HybridZ

Got a deal I just can't refuse...

So I might be going to the dark side...

Last night I was partying with some friends at Hooters, they're all car guys and suddenly the subject of my car comes up. We go outside and I show them my little Z, and I mention what it has and how much the L28et can do. They ask me what other swaps you can do with the s30z and I mention that the LS1 is a popular one but that I didn't do it because of the lack of funds. That's when someone I had just met (he was a friend of a friend) suddenly mentions that he has a complete LS1 swap and he's willing to part with it for 1k. It has 70k miles, and everything is there. It was running before it left the Camaro, the only downside is that it's an automatic so I would have to find a T56 on my own. I want to see if I can buy everything minus the tranny and get some knocked off the price, but chances are he's only going to sell everything together.

So here's the plan:

$350.00 For JTR mounts

$1000.00 Complete LS1 swap

$500.00 Emergencies

That's pretty much the budget for now, I was lucky when I bought my car because one of the previous owners was seeking a v8 swap so the car has been reinforced to take the power and not twist. I know I have yet to factor in suspension and brakes, but I'll probably be buying used of of here to save money since I'm a broke college student.

Does this all sound good?

Just realized I probably should have posted it in the general s30 section so it wouldn't be so biased. I need both sides of the argument, I love my L28et yet the thought of an LS1 is also nice. Unsure of what I'm gonna do. I like both engines.

Man, I'm torn about it. I really like both, I even thought about swapping this L28et into my parts car or using the thousand I'd waste on the LS1 and beefing up the L28et. Seriously, this is a really hard decision.

Just fix up your car. You get your tank in?

a freind of mine has a 72 z and when he was looking for a hood in the junk yard, he came back with a hood off a z he found with matching access panels on a half off day for $10

when he showed them to me, they are the full steel louvered hood and matching louvered access panels.

they retail for $800 for the hood and $80 a peice for the access panels..

Now thats a deal..

RayG1988,

Jags that Run make mounts for the GEN 1 SBC, NOT LS1. JTR has headers and some bit parts for the swap.

Johns Car, Inc. make the mounts for LS# swaps for Z. Not to be insulting, but your going to need more money, credit cards, and friendly connections to get the swap done. I am in $14K and still going!!!!

Here you go http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/zcar.htm

RayG1988,

Jags that Run make mounts for the GEN 1 SBC, NOT LS1. JTR has headers and some bit parts for the swap.

Johns Car, Inc. make the mounts for LS# swaps for Z. Not to be insulting, but your going to need more money, credit cards, and friendly connections to get the swap done. I am in $14K and still going!!!!

Thanks.

I figured all I would need to do was get the engine and the mounts. I have plenty of hook ups, but I didn't think this would run me over 5k.

Gotta look beyond the up front stuff. Seeing as you are coming from L28ET land, i'll assume your fuel system is up to snuff w/ a small re-route of lines.

But factor in the immediate known replacements like driveshaft, headers, full exhaust. Depending on if your building parts yourself or shelling out, you could drop 1k in exhaust work alone w/ some nice mufflers and a very well thought out system.

I think that phrase about taking any given builds budget, and doubling it, is a fairly accurate statement. Cause that really is how it seems to go. This is all assuming that the motor you get doesn't end up having bearings in it that look like someone went at them with a ball peen hammer too.

RayG1988,

Thanks for posting the link, I guess I should have done that in my post other than just referencing the letters.

The mounts and driveshaft alone are going to run you $600+, then as mentioned above headers, exhuast, fueling, intake.

Check out this thread for what I have into mine as mentioned by dudeboy $2000 is a good start but not near a full budget to do a 'good' job.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=129923&highlight=swap

• 2 weeks later...

get the motor + tranny and build around it. you dont need to slap it in as soon as you buy it. take your time and piece it together. if you dont want the auto trany sell it and put that money to good use else where in the build. get every thing that your gonna need to get the project off the ground floor then dismantle your Z. if you do it yourself youll save a ton of cash on labor. dont forget to sell your l6 after you get the v8 in and blamo more cash to dump in the build. these are my plans and hopfully i'll land this 5.7 for 500 bucks and start my own waiting game.

sorry for the lecture, it just sounds like you dont have a plan of attack. hope it works out for you

jump on it. get it, put it in with the auto trans and have fun with it

Yeah! I am putting an auto LS1 in my Z, would I prefer a T56? hell yes, do I want to add $1,500 for a good T56 with a nice clutch and flywheel to handle the 8 psi I am going to run through it on my college student budget?... no. Maybe later on in life when I got more funds I'll swap it over haha.

• 4 weeks later...

you really have to be honest with yourself and accept the fact that its going to be way more than you originally thought. I just paid 750 for the trans and motor mounts, vital liquids, and the driveshaft. There is a hell of a lot more than that I have to get, including headers, radiator, and all the nickle and diming things. I say get the motor and trans, throw it on craigslist or ebay and make a profit! I paid $4000 for my LS1 and t56 setup with about the same mileage. Take that cash and put it into your L28et. A college budget isn't going to get this done anytime soon. I bought my z while in college about 6 years ago and I just started working on it last year. Tho I also promised myself to NOT cut any corners and do everything right!

Let us know what you decide!