HybridZ

86 300zx na 5 speed

sk8ersds

I am being stumped. I have had my z for about 3 months now and I feel like it wastes to much gas(like 11 mpg bad). I have checked my wires, checked for vacuum leaks, changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter and keep my car well maintained. It smells like it is really rich but i don't know how to adjust that. Also does anybody know where to find a rhd conversion for the z31 or does it just not exist as a kit. Thanks for the time.

457357108_l.jpg

sounds like the problem might bewith your right foot, I assume you ca is a turbo to get such bad milage, stay out of boost and yout fuel consumption will go down, you can also run smaller lighter wheels with narrow tires, keep top speeds under 55 mph and try keeping the revs under 3k in any given gear, and druise the interstate as much as possible, as for RHD, I think it's playred out and retarded but all you gotta do issource a JDM front cut, it'll have all the RHD parts and will liely cost as much as a complete Z31

11mpg?? That’s horrible! Check your fuel pressure. It should be around 34 to 38psi at idle. If your return line to the fuel tank is plugged your going to see 70 to 90psi, which will turn your fuel injectors into parts washers. Check your fuel pressure regulator too. Pull the vacuum line off the manifold that goes to the pressure regulator and suck on it (that’s not an insult). If you taste gas, most likely your pressure regulator is junk. I’ve seen both of these things wrong at the same time, so check them both. If you fix the problem, a new set of plugs plus an oil and filter change will be in order. You probably dumped more than couple of quarts gas in your crankcase if this has been going on long enough. Lets see…11mpg divided by $4.15 per gallon equals…OH MY GOD!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you should be getting 18-20 around town. My 85 turbo gets that. Check with a good flashlight around all the injectors and hose connections on the fuel system to be sure you have no leak. Don't forget to check by fuel filter. My son was a little weak putting on a new filter and mileage dropped a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a problem with my Z31T running too lean under boost. Underneath the upper intake plenum on the VG30 I found there is a mass of rubber vacuum hoses. After 20-24 years they dry out, rot, split and create a manifold leak. Start by replacing all of those hoses.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jenna86

You might also run the ecu self diagnostic (do a search or check a haynes manual) and see if any of your sensors code. That will give you a good idea where to start if it is an electrical or sensor problem.