HybridZ

R200 lsd gears?

kev240z

This is a pretty common question, especially with V8 guys not running overdrive transmissions. The ring and pinion gears which set the ratio in the diff aren't the LSD, it's the carrier that the ring gear bolts to that is the LSD. You can swap the LSD onto any longnose R200 ring gear (search "ring gear bolt spacer" for more info on this). The problem is going to be finding a gear set. 3.15's are super rare, 3.36's are rare. 3.54's are common but that isn't much taller than what you already have.

My car is a Scarab sold by Ken Smith of MSA to Brian Morrow of Scarab in 1981. My paper work shows it being built with Scarab part # E4113 3.15 R200 ($800). They also offered a 3.15 LSD and a 3.36 ratio, LSD & open. Anyway, today I opened up that diff & couldn't make out the stamp so counted the teeth & ended up with 14 & 41 which is 2.9 by my math. (?)Anyway, since doing the 300ZXT LSD conversion with Ron Tyler's designed mount & Modernmotorsports adapters for the 280Z stub axles my revs are way too high at highway speeds, I'm running a Super T10 (W), special wide ratio (recommended by Scarab) they also offered the X,Y & U series. Fitting a TKO 600 transmission is looking harder & harder mostly due to the shifter location, so I may have to use the gears I just replaced. I like how much quicker I am but have to do better than 3000 RPM @ 60 MPH. So that's the long version of the even longer story. I appreciate any commments or advice.

My car is a Scarab sold by Ken Smith of MSA to Brian Morrow of Scarab in 1981. My paper work shows it being built with Scarab part # E4113 3.15 R200 ($800). They also offered a 3.15 LSD and a 3.36 ratio, LSD & open. Anyway, today I opened up that diff & couldn't make out the stamp so counted the teeth & ended up with 14 & 41 which is 2.9 by my math. (?)Anyway, since doing the 300ZXT LSD conversion with Ron Tyler's designed mount & Modernmotorsports adapters for the 280Z stub axles my revs are way too high at highway speeds, I'm running a Super T10 (W), special wide ratio (recommended by Scarab) they also offered the X,Y & U series. Fitting a TKO 600 transmission is looking harder & harder mostly due to the shifter location, so I may have to use the gears I just replaced. I like how much quicker I am but have to do better than 3000 RPM @ 60 MPH. So that's the long version of the even longer story. I appreciate any commments or advice.

The ring gear and pinion count should be stamped right on the edge of the ring gear. If they are 3.15's or 3.36s (or something else similarly tall) that is very good for you.