HybridZ

Me and My Dad Project Car

It all started out when me and my dad wanted to work on a car when I would turn 15. Then it was just an idea and within the last 2 years we have agreed to do so with me turning 15 in a month. Recently we both are about 80% commited to an early 70's 240z.I have been an avid car lover my whole life and this is a big step up from just watching my dad and friends work on cars (their into the whole honda thing but it does not really appeal to me). Along with this possible project are some questions I would have....

~Where I live their is a large amount of car theft ( mostly hondas and acuras but overall a large amount of cars) and with this being an older car I wanted to know if a new system if there is one at all should be installed?

~Does the stock engine put up some fairly decent numbers that I could have fun with or should we try to go along an educational roller coaster with a swap?

~Are parts and body panels easy acess or require scavenging?

~ Finally what should I look for and avoid in these models?

Thanks a lot, any info is helpful

Well I don't know much about cars, but from my research so far, one thing you should look out for is the rust. Rust on the floor panels, near the battery, and other places that I haven't mentioned.

As for security, you could get a lot of stuff for your car. Don't get a motion-sensor security system, those are annoying as hell and loud engines of any kind will set them off. Use a car security system with a pager that tells you that your car is being jacked.

Get a starter disabler and make sure all the wiring for the engine starter is inaccessible for the theives. Also make sure that the disabler is somewhere that only YOU can reach.

Also, get a hood lock cable so they can't open up the hood to take anything from it or disable your car's battery.

Steering wheel locks won't stop theives, but it'll slow them down. Make sure you have insurance that'll cover EVERYTHING you have in you car if it actually gets stolen.

It all started out when me and my dad wanted to work on a car when I would turn 15. Then it was just an idea and within the last 2 years we have agreed to do so with me turning 15 in a month. Recently we both are about 80% commited to an early 70's 240z.I have been an avid car lover my whole life and this is a big step up from just watching my dad and friends work on cars (their into the whole honda thing but it does not really appeal to me). Along with this possible project are some questions I would have....

Congratulations! I think this is a great way to get to hang out with your dad, and I think a 240z would be an excellent idea for a first car.

~Where I live their is a large amount of car theft ( mostly hondas and acuras but overall a large amount of cars) and with this being an older car I wanted to know if a new system if there is one at all should be installed?

~Does the stock engine put up some fairly decent numbers that I could have fun with or should we try to go along an educational roller coaster with a swap?

~Are parts and body panels easy acess or require scavenging?

~ Finally what should I look for and avoid in these models?

Thanks a lot, any info is helpful

Most body parts are relatively easy to get ahold of with a little work. Fenders tend to be the most commonly sought after, as they tend to rust through (especially on the passenger's side, where the battery tray is... watch for that).

Rocker panels (the metal that runs along the bottom of the door jamb and extends under the car) is very often rusted out. Keep an eye out for it.

If you're planning to use the stock 2.4l l6 from the 240z, your performance is going to be limited to around 150-175hp (give or take). Unless you want to go hog wild and rebuild it from the ground up, the old iron blocks are sturdy and reliable (with the right carbs) but not track monsters. If you're planning to SCCA, keeping the stock motor would be my suggestion; it allows you to stay in a competitive class.

If you're looking into making real power and having a monster, a small-block chevy v8 can be shoehorned in for around $1000 or so. It's becoming a common swap, and you'll find lots of info here. A bit less common (and a bit more expensive) is swapping a Ford v8, but if you're on a fairly strict budget the stock motor or a chevy is probably the way to go.

Focus on getting a straight body with a dash that isn't cracked (you almost definitely won't find one, but try anyway), and you should be good to go. I don't know how adept either of you are with mechanics, but getting something that already runs and drives is a good idea if you can afford it. If either of you have ever rebuilt an engine, you may want to tackle a bigger project (like buying a non-running car).

As far as price, I'm currently selling my 260z that doesn't run (but is 90% complete) for $200 this weekend. That's quite a bit under average; here in Cali I generally see decent, running Z's for around $1500-$2500. Keep your eyes peeled, and make full use of Carfax to make sure it hasn't been in any accidents that people aren't telling you about. If you come up with any other questions, we're always here for you!

Oh, and one more thing... get a few good manuals before you start.

Alright thanks for all the help... With my dad always pushing me to a nova or more muscle car (Some of his friends at work go on friday nights) maybe a v8 swap would be a great way to get him really excited for this project. He has worked on a few cars in his life (mostly body restoration) as far as carbs and stuff but he has never gone deep into the block of a car.

Another thing that keeps him interested in the 240z is the price ranges on 240z's appeal more to him then the classics he was looking at. In other words, leaving more money for the project then just getting the car. We'll see, a lot of things change in a couple months but I will keep all of you updated.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/705726762.html lol pretty cool

I hate to say it, but the 305 was a craptastical engine. It had all sorts of non-interchangeable parts with the other small block chevys. Try to get a 283, 327, 350, 383, or 400 (the 327 and 350 being my personal favorites).

My suggestion would be something more like this:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/711693760.html if it's not too far from you.

You'll need to purchase interior pieces, and maybe carpets, along with a hood and headlights (none of these things are hard to find, but can be expensive if you're looking for MINT parts). You'll need to make motor mounts (or have a local welding shop make them for you from cardboard cutouts you make). If possible, I'd say check the car out and make sure it isn't rusted through the body panels anywhere. The LS1 is an amazing engine (technically much better than the other SBC engines I've mentioned) and the way it's set up now you could decide whether you wanted the old-school carbed intake manifold or a fresh new fuel injected setup. In any event, most of the necessary parts are there, but you guys would have to track down the little bits that aren't and put it all together.

Keep your eyes peeled, and make full use of Carfax to make sure it hasn't been in any accidents that people aren't telling you about. If you come up with any other questions, we're always here for you!
Remember, Carfax doesn't work with S30's. IIRC, only cars with a 17 digit VIN will work.

Here is another question... When you guys repair rust do you have your own mig welder and die grinder, other set ups, or have somebody more experienced do it. I think learning to use a mig welder would be very useful in many cases and would I probably like to go and take some classes?

Remember, Carfax doesn't work with S30's. IIRC, only cars with a 17 digit VIN will work.

I wasn't aware of that.

... you can see that I just kinda dove in when I bought my Z now, can't you? I've been exposed!

Here is another question... When you guys repair rust do you have your own mig welder and die grinder, other set ups, or have somebody more experienced do it. I think learning to use a mig welder would be very useful in many cases and would I probably like to go and take some classes?

Well, it depends on how dirty you want to get. Surface rust can generally be reparied by sandblasting (if you don't mind the mess) the surface, then a skim coat of fiberglass, a quick sanding, and touch-up paint.

If you plan to do any sort of heavy modification (like putting a V8 in your datsun) I'd definitely suggest getting very familiar with a welder. Once you've built up some confidence, you might even feel up to fabricating your own motor mounts, radiator brackets, transmission mounts, seat rails, frame supports, and everything else that comes up where you'd think to yourself "I wonder where I can get a bracket for that..."

In the end, I think learning to weld is something you should absolutely take advantage of if you have the opportunity.

• 10 months later...

I'm Back!!!!

Getting back to this thread to keep everyone updated. I have been searching the posts and learning a large amount about these cars over the last year. Due to some financial problems, the project is yet to start but getting very close. Once the family ski boat sells on craigslist the project will become a reality. Not to mention free up a large garage that makes plenty of room as it currently holds a 22 foot bow rider. Anyways, pops and I have been searching/talking/gathering info, and agreed on a Chevy 350 swap using the JTR kit and Manual:flamedevi Can't tell you how much the anticipation has been literally killing me. Hoping to end up with about 250-300hp when its all said and done.

Family friend (Also helping hand for the project) already challenged me in his low 9 second street nova at the local strip...Wonder who would win:icon56:.

Definately would be pretty cool... Though I would not want to carry around a wheel so I would just stash it under a seat or something. I do plan on buying one of those wheel locks where they disable movement of the wheel. (Would atleast make it harder to steal the car) Crime is getting worse in my neighbor hood though. Neighbors car was diagnol in the middle of the road today from last night lol.

Go to the second page and second paragraph to see what i mean: ( Also this was the Feb news letter) :evil:

http://www.pioneer-trails.org/newsletterfiles/TT.Feb.09.pdf

for security, you should get the removable quick release steering hub... No thief is going to steal your car if it doesn't have a steering wheel...

Unless they have a steering wheel of their own... or vice grips.

Removable wheels are for race cars. Ignition/Fuel cuts are for street cars.

Neither can stop a flatbed. :(

Yep, Flatbeds are tough to beat.. hehe you can chain your car to a tree, but a good alarm is a good way to deter thieves. Exterior video and DVR is also a good method. but all in all, you can get a GPS lowjack type system pretty darn cheap these days. Make sure your alarm has a fuel pump cutoff relay. that's a good one.

Now beating a 9 second nova isn't impossible, but would be really tough on a small budget. Guaranteed he's spent about 10 times what you will on your Z tho. So keep track of that when he says he's faster. For easy power, the cheapest swap is the 280ZX turbo engine swap. it's good for adding a bit of power without a lot of cost or modifications. Read through all the stickies and use the search button. You'll learn tons. but your budget is your biggest limiting factor.

Cheap

Fast

quality

pick any 2...

Phar

Lol I was kidding on the beating him part. The car is actually really sick and its like a 66 so its got the ol school body. He came second in regionals I recently heard for his class on legal street tires I believe and just qualified for the show PINKS ALL OUT when they come out in August:flamedevi Will for sure make it to the tracks to watch that. I definately am getting the starter disabler and it actually comes in a lot of alarm system kits out there nowadays.